6
18 Comments

No Google Adwords volume for my niche, time to call it quits?

I built my own tiny house and am using it to travel across the United States. I'm exploring some of the market just for fun and I noticed a niche that no one is covering.

However, all of the tiny house related tracked keywords are related to building of tiny homes. I'm interested in providing a towing service.

I've placed a number of bids on tiny house towing related keywords but no clicks. I've even had an article published in an industry specific magazine, but not clicks either.

I assume this means that there's no one searching for the problem I'm trying to solve. I must be in a very very small niche, or my audience just doesn't search Google for a service to tow their tiny home and they rely on contacts.

  1. 2

    Just looking at the clicks doesn't give us enough info to assess it.

    How many impressions did you have and what match type are you using? If you have impressions but no clicks, then your ads need to be better.

    Also, what's the impression share and quality score of the keyword? Low QS will prevent ads from being shown and then you won't get impressions.

    I just googled that keyword and didn't see an ad so your ads are not running for one reason or another, although I assume you're geo-targeting. You might have to expand the geo area to get more impressions.

  2. 2

    Do you have any customers yet?

    If you don't have any customers yet, I'd focus on offline efforts in your local area. Think about if there are ways you can make those early sales face to face. As others say, perhaps you build relationships with the manufacturers of the Tiny Houses. If the manufacturers have networking events attend those.

    Once you have a few customers, a guesstimate at your customer LTV, and have refined your customer journey you can shift to focus online.

    If you have customers and are already online, what does your sales funnel look like? Do you have any lead magnets or free resources to educate your buyer and build trust with them?

    If I were you what I'd do is:

    1. Build an online sales funnel based on your market and service
    2. Buy Facebook Ads
    3. Drive the Facebook Ads to an Email Course
    4. Educate the prospects via Email about towing services. Toward the end of the drip start a soft sell. Some prospects will sign up for a demo or appointment.
    5. For the prospects that engage well with your content but don't sign up for a demo / appointment (have a high lead score) I would send them into an SDR outreach process at this point.
    6. An SDR outreach process involves having a sales rep (likely you at first) to send a sequence of personalized emails and phone calls to the prospect.

    If we don't have a background in sales or marketing, it's easy to underestimate how much process and operations are involved in the selling process itself.

    I'll also disclaim each market is different so these tactics may not work for your market. If you want a really good overview of different traction channels and how to methodologically test them I'd check out (https://www.amazon.com/Traction-Startup-Guide-Getting-Customers/dp/0976339609)

    Hope this comment has some helpful ideas and best of luck with your new venture! I think there is definitely a niche here.

  3. 2

    Not sure if this is helpful but have you thought about contacting organizations that build communities of tiny homes for the homeless? Its a trend

    1. 1

      Not my audience but good idea.

  4. 2

    This sounds like an honest to goodness business with a proper niche, I would absolutely not give up until you know why no one seems to be searching.

    I think what you actually need to do now is find out how people are getting towing already. It seems unlikely the average person, even one interested in tiny homes, would have the ability to tow them. Are tiny home providers offering all transport and therefore making a service like that irrelevant? Would you be better able to handle that transport for the providers instead? They've got to get to the location somehow.

    1. 2

      I ran a survey in a popular Facebook group to get an idea of how many other tiny house folk tow themselves or hire it out.

      Out of a sample size of about 50, 80% hire out a service because tiny homes are so heavy compared to RVs.

      Tiny Home manufacturers do offer to sub contract out a tow, that could be part of it. I'm not sure of how many other tiny houses move as frequently as I do that are not part of the "festival circuit".

      Maybe that's my audience then, the tiny house builders if they're the primary point of contact.

      1. 2

        This. (and what Carter said above)

        I think your market is so small/niche that adwords isn't going to be worth the effort or cost. Not saying that the business itself isn't worth it, though.

        You need to get "in" with the manufacturers, offering them a commission for every tow job they refer to you. Pitch to them saying that using your towing, their serviceable market is now much larger, allowing them to go after new customers or adjusting their online ad copy to be more inclusive (i.e. "Tiny home for under 10K, delivered right to you door")

  5. 1

    I'm not your target audience, but when I imagine being into tiny houses, I imagine paying a lot of attention to specifically where they are, septic systems, etc. As opposed to moving them regularly.

  6. 1

    I think most Tiny Home enthusiasts see it as a personal freedom and went into their venture with the idea of towing it themselves.

    1. 2

      I thought so too. But in a survey of tiny house dwellers I found that over half prefer to have someone else tow.

      The upfront cost of these trucks alone is more than the cost of a tiny house. Then you have to consider insurance, maintenance and that this huge diesel truck will become your daily commuter car.

      Plus, tiny house dwellers don't typically move very often. They're not as mobile friendly as RVs. They're heavy and they're typically not built with much moving in mind.

  7. 1

    You may just be looking in the wrong place. Try Facebook Page or find a community where tiny homeowners are actively communicating with each other. Google is a start but expand from there.

  8. 1

    It all depends on your end goal. Are you just looking for side income, or do you want to make a full time living?

    There is probably demand, but I think you'll find that the demand is spread across the country. So, you'll either need to travel (not economical) or sub contract a fleet of movers.

    Join a few Facebook groups related to the subject and offer your service. See if you get any feedback.

    1. 1

      Just some side income. I already have a few sub contractors on the ready, I just need to find customers.

      Good idea, I haven't outright posted to the facebook groups. I wonder if there's tool out there that will allow me to passively watch for related keywords on the groups so I can jump into conversations when they mention the need for towing.

      1. 1

        I wonder if there's tool out there that will allow me to passively watch for related keywords

        Good idea for another project :)

  9. 1

    Hi I'm curious about your business idea, would you tell me a little more about it. Towing tiny homes where? For what purpose?

    1. 1

      So tiny homes typically come on wheels to bypass the minimum square footage zoning laws.

      In order to get it from the manufacturer to where ever you'd like to park it, it needs to be towed.

      Tiny homes are like Travel Trailer RVs, but built with conventional building materials, making them verrrryyyy heavy. Usually you need a 3/4 ton truck or a 1 ton truck to pull them safely.

      Those types of trucks are expensive. In my case, it's cheaper for me to hire a contractor to tow my house across the country than it is to actually buy the truck and tow myself.

  10. 1

    This comment was deleted 7 years ago

  11. 1

    This comment was deleted 8 years ago

  12. 6

    This comment was deleted 5 years ago

    1. 2

      I agree that this is a good way to discover keyword variants.

    2. 2

      I have not, I'll try that next. I've tried exploring keywords with SEMrush and the Google keyword planner.

      Good idea. I'll try playing with ad copy to see if I can strike a chord with different phrasing.

      1. 1

        This comment was deleted 5 years ago