1
8 Comments

10,000 words. Blog post, email course or members-only "academy"?

Hi guys, need your advice.
I'm writing an article which appears to be a real in-depth thing, around 10,000 words. And there are a few possible strategies to publish it.

  1. Just a long article on a blog with goal to get SEO visitors over time and for brand awareness
  2. Free email course with some product pitching inside, but then I lose SEO benefits.
  3. Totally separate members-only "academy" available only for customers who pay for the product. Which will be additional reason to purchase, and potentially would grow articles base there.

I know the answer is "it depends", but have you tried these different approaches and measured long-term results? Any advice?

  1. 2

    Here's my guide based on the info you've provided:

    • Is this guide for a very specific audience and purpose? (i.e Architects looking to pass a certain occupational exam)
      -- If Yes, publish as paid product.
      -- If No, break it up into a series of more targeted blog posts. 5 targeted blog posts of 2,000 words each will have better SEO and traffic potential than one monolithic 10,000 word monster (Plus I bet they would individually convert better).
    1. 1

      Thanks a lot, Michael. I guess I should have provided more info, agreed. I already have a product which is aimed at developers (code generator) and this post would be also aimed at the same developers - how to structure the code in Laravel projects. So I guess you're voting for paid product, then.

      Also, 5 articles vs 1 long article is good advice, too. Maybe it would be even easier to consume, part by part.

  2. 2

    I have done similar thing before, I break down the long post into a series of multiple posts with a landing page of the series. Visitor can choose to read online or download the compiled pdf by opting in email subscription. If you are interested , you can refer my series here: https://fluffy.es/making-sense-of-auto-layout/

    1. 1

      Thanks Alex, that's also an option. I like how you frame it - "I'm busy, send me PDF".
      Can you share any numbers of results, conversions etc? Did it meet your expectations? If you could do that again, would you do it the same way?

      1. 2

        I have got near to 300 subscribers from this series (people who opt in to get the pdf), it does blew away my expectation as I just expected 20-30 subscription at first. I would definitely do it again if I have a long in depth article to write. Take my result with a grain of salt as my blog was featured in a popular iOS development newsletter, most of the subscriber came from there.

  3. 1

    Hey Povilas! Thanks for sharing - did you end up making a decision between these three?

  4. 1

    Alternatively you could publish this as a book on Kindle

    1. 1

      Yes, e-book is also an option - Kindle and/or downloadable PDF. Thanks for the advice, Wyatt.