3
21 Comments

Please help me pick one idea to focus on.

Hi folks, need your feedback. Not selling anything.

I have two skills (Email list building and B2B lead generation using Linkedin)

I'm trying to asess which one has a good business need/demand so I can create a service/product/course around it.

My question:

  1. If you are an information product creator (ebook, courses, membership sites etc) or a blogger, you will agree "Money is in the List".

Would you pay for "Email list building strategies?"

I will send you one proven strategy each week that explains step by step how you can use it to grow your email list (I collected 2000+ subs in 13 weeks from scratch).

  1. If you are a B2B business owner (agencies, saas product, coach, consultant etc).

Would you pay for "Generating leads using Linkedin (DIY course or DFY service)"

I will pick one idea to focus on.

Thank you.

  1. 4

    Consider going into a tiny niche first (for both ideas) like list building for people selling design eBooks or lead gen for office cleaning companies.

    If I'd need to pick one for you I would go with lead gen as my gut feeling is, this might deliver value more quickly to your clients and is thus easier to sell.

    What If you combine the both and focus on a niche you Like to work with? What industry do you have connections to already?

    1. 1

      That's a great Suggestion Patric. I will try to pick a small niche and validate the email List building idea.

      For lead gen, can you please clarify as a business owner, would you prefer learning from an online course so you can implement it yourself or pay for a done-for-you lead gen service?

      I'm connected to IT industry.

      Thanks

      1. 2

        Learning from a free resource (because there are already plenty of free guides, how to articles, etc) and once I validated it works for me - I would be happy to pay for a done for you service.

        And I think a specific niche / you beeing branded as a specialist in this niche will help me choose you over another lead gen service.

        1. 1

          Thanks so much Patric for your inputs.
          Sure picking a Niche makes a lot of difference.

  2. 3

    I have saas project, need to sell it and thus vote for the second option "Generating leads using Linkedin (DIY course or DFY service)" .

    1. 1

      Thanks Mylh, do you currently leverage linkedin for lead generation?

  3. 2

    I would go with email list building niche. Try to build an authority site around it and automate selling (opt-in) email sequences as much as possible. I believe you will have much larger audience in that niche for start as well.
    After that, depending on the work with emai list project (once you have routines and processes in place), consider starting Linkedin leads project.

    1. 1

      Thanks so much Krycheck. Sure I will try your suggestion with a small niche and see how people respond.

  4. 2

    Hi @sateeshkumar44 I think you can focus on both.
    Email list building as the tool that you can sell and Generating leads using Linkedin is like the strategy that you can sell too.

    1. 1

      Thanks Ruth, can you please elaborate that a bit more?

  5. 1

    Hey @sateeshkumar44 - proven list building strategies is valuable; especially if you can offer real-world examples of it in practice, too.

    That being said, if these are indeed your own proven list-building strategies, I would be interested in exploring a collaboration between you and I re https://list.chat -- (see this IndieHacker thread about it here)

    Let me know!

    1. 1

      Just saw your message @ip , also subscribed to your list.
      Please let me know how can I help in list building?

  6. 1

    Both ideas are interesting. I help run a product development agency that builds bespoke web and mobile apps (for context on the below).

    1. As Patric said I think the offering would need to be niche focused. Building leads for a SaaS vs strategy consulting vs development services would require quite different approaches.

    2. IMH the DFY service would be challenging. Our experience with external lead gen services is that amount of time it takes to properly educate them on our product and positioning doesn't pay off against the low quality of leads (this could be because the customers that convert best for us are a fairly specific group).

    3. A course that could enable a non-owner/senior manager of the business to run lead generation would be valuable. If for example, the course could enable an office manager (who understands the company but without experience in lead gen) to generate leads, the payoff would be clear.

    1. 1

      Thanks so much James for your feedback.
      I see what you mean and completely agree every business type needs a different approach and niching down on one domain help to position as an expert as Patrick mentioned.

      Sure course would be better for both the customer (senior mgr to learn lead gen process) and for me as well to scale the product without selling dollars for hours (service).

  7. 1

    I think there are a decent amount of lead-generation tools out there now. Have you researched any of them? I'm sure there are lots of opportunities still because lead generation (and also lead qualifying, etc) is a broad topic.

    If I were you, I would spend some time researching the two topics to see what is out there. That might give you a better idea about what the market is like and where there is room for improvement.

    1. 2

      I think this is good advice. Lead generation is a solution to a b2b problem, seem to have more revenue potential.

      1. 1

        Thanks Fred. may I ask how do you currently generate leads for your business?

        1. 1

          Not in this kind d of business anymore. 10 years ago I would pay $1000 for a lead service that delivered a well selected lead. Someone in one of the companies I targeted, who worked in the department I target, that was schooled about my business and had a potential project in mind.

          I would pay even more perhaps, because I had to do that all by myself, cold calling, finding connections, asking people to introduce me to other people. It is hard work and the kind of thing even after 8 years doing I felt uncomfortable doing .

          1. 1

            Thanks Fred for your valuable feedback. Which domain is your business? just trying to pick a niche which has potential.

            1. 1

              I had a software consultancy that targeted big companies. There are a lot of them.

    2. 1

      Thanks @lwilli, I did some research on lead gen tools for Linkedin. They are more of bots which automates searching, messaging and engaging with leads which is not accepted by Linkedin.

      I was more referring to process of optimising your profile, creating useful content, build authority, genuinely communicating with leads, building trust and then selling stuff.
      I still have to do some more findings though.