1
4 Comments

What are your tactics and tricks to quickly get your products out the door?

I'm struggling to launch on my designated deadline. What are your tactics for quickly getting an MVP out and get market validation?

  1. 2

    Regularly question sacred assumptions. e.g., you really need to build a backend to begin testing your product?

    As an exercise in throwing out the unimportant, I often draw a line down the middle of a page in my notebook. On the left side I write the prompt, "Do I really have to...?", on the right side, the prompt, "What if instead, I just...?"

    E.g., "Do I really have to have a user system?" "What if instead, I just use Firebase analytics to segment users, and Firebase remote config to show each segment relevant articles?"

    1. 1

      This is a great framework. Thanks for sharing...it's so simple and actionable and forces you to consider simpler alternatives to speed up the feedback cycle!

  2. 1

    Stop building ANY more features...it's an endless trap! You have to just launch now and get ready to iterate based on the feedback you get from the market.

    The more you build in isolation, the more you are layering assumptions on top of assumptions. And let's be honest...a number of those assumptions are going to be wrong!

    Also...take the pressure off yourself that your product NEEDS to go "viral". Instead, optimize to learn. I wrote about that important lesson here for my own launch last week.

    Good luck...and turn on your product! When you do, let me know and I can give you some feedback on it (email me: jonathan@tribefive.me).

    Cheers!
    Jonathan

  3. 1

    What causes your struggle?

    Not too clear what kind of product you're building and how, so please excuse my software engineering bias.

    • Spending too much time developing features? You might not be prioritizing features aggressively enough - this is easy to fall into with your own product. Another symptom of this maybe gold-plating the features
    • Spending too much time fixing bugs or re-visiting features you'd considered "done"? You may have QA issues. Automate regression testing
    • Spending too much time on "generic" features, those not unique to your product (like, billing)? Can you identify other products out there to do these for you?
    • Too much time on tasks outside your speciality? Again, are there people or services you can use to do these for you?