1
6 Comments

Distributed Social Network

Will Facebook ever be replaced by a social network owned by token holders?

  1. 2

    Who knows?

    Problems with them:

    • Can be less intuitive (Who wants to manage tokens?)
    • Network effect -- do my friends use it?
    • Censorship. There are some things I want to see, and some things that should be taken offline. Many distributed networks brag about being "censorship proof" - this can be really bad.
    • Slow to change, because each client/node needs to update to the new protocol, rather than the core company.

    Good things about them:

    • Privacy, anonymity
    • No advertising
    • (Possibly) speed, connectivity (i.e. can connect even when internet is down, through mesh networks)
    • A level of censorship resistance

    Personally, I don't believe in (the current state) of distributed social networks. This is why I'm working on ChitChat, an open-source (but centralized) alternative.

    https://github.com/harrisonturton/chitchat

    Currently super early in development :)

    1. 1

      Ha. First comment comes a github link. Are the number of people working on this problem underestimating the number of people working on this problem?

      I really can't comment since I'm not going to download your github code just to take a look. Screenshots would be an awesome addition.

      1. 1

        I included the Github link in case you were curious, and to add some background to why I made the comments I did - you don't have to look at it. It's not ready for the public, which is why screenshots/etc are not present.

        Lots of people are working on this problem, but I'm not confident that a frictionless solution to the problem exists. I'd like to believe that all services would (one day) be usurped by a decentralized alternative, but this likely won't happen. With our current options, to solve the problems of a decentralized system, you need a centralized authority, which ruins the whole idea.

    1. 2

      Optimistic estimate.

      1. 2

        0.0001% chance.