5
8 Comments

Best resource to take care of oneself?

Guys,

I’m burned out.

What’s your best resource (I like books) when it comes to prioritization and taking care of oneself?

Cheers

  1. 2

    Off The Clock, The Power of Full Engagement, The Power of Less, Less Doing More Living.

    All the books say roughly the same thing. It's more about managing energy than time. A proper amount of rest is super important. And actually doing less work and scheduling in time for other activities that you love (and/or people) actually makes your days feel longer and replenishes different types of energy.

    What's worked quite well for me is to schedule (and spend) time for leisure activities every day. That's often 2 hours. Lately I'm choosing to game for an hour and learn Korean another hour. I also make a bit of time to spend with my son each day.

    Also just being ok with taking things slowly. It's been a challenge for me to learn to stop doing activities when it hits a certain time or amount of time rather than doing them until they are finished but it has been a very important step in helping me manage energy levels. I made the mistake of coding til 2am again the other day... It made me realize just how shitty it feels going to bed feeling completely drained. It sucked. Emotionally I feel much better when well rested. I like the mission I'm on at the moment enough to just stick with it as long as i need to so I'm not dying in a big rush to get things done. Looking back I don't ever think it really helped me being that way. I feel much better now that I've figured out how to balance things in a way that really works for me.

    Hope u find this answer useful in some way.

    1. 1

      It sounds like you're doing life well :)

      I've found it worth it to chase inspiration late at night to be worth it about 1% of the time. That's not zero, but it had better be something exceptional to give up sleep for.

    2. 1

      Thanks, James, this is totally helpful.

      Being ok with taking things slowly is something I struggle with, I tend to work on multiple things at the time and to overcommit.

      I loved your book recommendations, quite on topic.

      Cheers!

  2. 1

    Not specifically a book, but I've made an effort to journal each day and it's really helped me focus and prioritize and take care of myself.

    Now when I say journal...I don't mean, "dear diary, today I ate X food and then saw Y person and then twirled my hair for Z hours"...

    Instead, I'm talking about the 5 Minute Journal.

    Each day, I start off the morning by writing down:

    • 3 things I'm grateful for
    • 3 things I want to accomplish

    And each evening, I write down:

    • 3 amazing things that happened during the day
    • 1 way I could've made the day even better

    This takes about 5 minutes in total (hence the name). It's well worth it!

    Here is their template: https://www.intelligentchange.com/blogs/news/the-five-minute-journal-questions

    If you end up giving it a try, let me know what you think.

    1. 1

      Hi Jonathan,

      I've tried the 5 min Journal. I did it for a while but it didn't do the trick for me. It probably is because I quite don't get it (yet).

      What usually works for me, and it's actually what I ended up doing yesterday was meditating for 20min.

      Clearing up my mind by mediation is super effective for me. I know that when I do it regularly (same goes for yoga) I feel great, the hard part is to actually do it consistently.

      1. 1

        Do you think external accountability could help you follow through more consistently?

        I'm just picking up on my meditation practice again (goal is to do 7 minutes per day).

        We could be accountability buddies =)

  3. 1

    Your own bed. Seriously.

    1. 1

      Yeap, that's actually where I noticed things are getting out of control, I struggle to sleep when I'm overworked.