As someone who's seen lots of product launches and spoke with lots of entrepreneurs to help them build their products, I was always amazed at how easy it was for entrepreneurs to have large blind spots or weaknesses when it came to there business or product. It's usually easy to see from the outside, but harder to see from the entrepreneurs perspective.
It's different for everyone. Maybe you want to build one more feature before launch, or pushing off customer discovery, whatever it may be, just be aware of your own blind spots and how to mitigate the risks that come with them.
Just some food for thought. Was just thinking about it this morning thought I'd share.
Very good advice. My old mentor used to say "Know Thyself": he suggested that entrepreneurs identify their personal weaknesses and create systems that backfill those weaknesses.
For me: I love strategizing, designing, and building my own products, but I hate the marketing, selling, and customer discovery part.
Examples of such blind spots please?
Hey Paul! Mentioned several in the post. Though for me for example is that I’m very prone to building features and wanting things to be perfect visually before launch. I had someone check me on this yesterday and it was a well needed reminder to stop and check myself and consider my direction. From that I’m going to launch much sooner Than maybe I would of originally.
I’ve known this about me for awhile but sometimes it’s easy for me get caught in that trap.
How about for you? What’s a blind spot/ weakness you have to be aware of with yourself?
Oh, so by blind spots you meant "build one more feature before launch" or "pushing off customer discovery"? Because being phrased as is, they don’t sound that negative.
Yeah, I’m a perfectionist, and I often fail deadlines because of that (recent example: rolled out an update today that I had promised to finish before the New Year).
I also tend to procrastinate a lot, which reminds me that I should close the IH tab and get back to hacking.