2
8 Comments

Do you think this pricing is right?

I'm monetizing my iOS bill splitting app with a "Tip the Developer" mechanic. It asks for a tip after a user successfully does what the app is supposed to do. (Split the bill with the app and shared it with others)

With iOS I need to set exact pricing with in-app purchases. Do you think these prices (USD) are right?

Tip: 0.99
Nice Tip: 1.99
Great Tip: 2.99
Amazing Tip: 9.99
OMG TIP!!!: 19.99

  1. 2

    Pretty sweet monetization idea for that kind of app. I think the prices make sense... Best way to test it would be to put this out there and see where the traction is, then maybe remove the 0.99 one for a while and see if people tip 1.99 more.

    1. 1

      Awesome. Thanks for the feedback.

  2. 1

    Another way I would put it is to "round it to the next dollar, 5, 10" might incentivize a bit more as that is a more natural way of tipping (relative vs absolute amounts)

    1. 2

      Thanks Arqu. Unfortunately Apple has this .99 thing set in stone and you can't use rounded integer amounts.

      1. 1

        I guess you learn something new every day. That sucks :/

  3. 1

    Sounds about right. I think I'd still set a slider there with snapping points at the price points (lose the naming). Set the default to 1.99 and see what happens.

    1. 2

      I think it's good to show the naming because the user can see the positive reaction from the increasing amounts. I think it motivates higher value purchases because of that more so than unnamed.

      1. 1

        I would A/B test that. I assume you can easily create 4-5 variations and fire them randomly. Then get highest earning option and make it only option in an update.