3
4 Comments

How do you find appropriate Subreddit to get traffic on your side projects?

I'll be making insta2blog.com during this weekend's #24hrstartup challenge, and I was wondering how to generate traffic from beside the obvious hype.

The big name that comes to mind is Reddit.
I find it really hard to find appropriate subreddit to share the product details with.

Is there a way to find subreddits more flexibly?

  1. 2

    I would target communities like https://www.reddit.com/r/Blogging/ where bloggers are looking for ressources instead of communities like https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/ where people post pictures.
    I think people who will use your tool are mostly bloggers who also have an Instagram account and want to convert pictures to blog posts.

    Also, from my experience with Mockoon (https://mockoon.com) it works sometimes better with smaller communities. For example I got more traffic from https://www.reddit.com/r/Frontend/ than https://www.reddit.com/r/webdev/ even if number of subscribers is completely different.

    1. 1

      I would target communities like r/Blogging ... instead of communities like r/pics

      This is a really nice advice. to know which communities will be better suited for my website.

      I think there should be a much easier way to find existing communities on reddit based on the type of audience you are looking for.

      it works sometimes better with smaller communities.

      This is so true. The smaller communities sometimes have more interested users than their larger counterparts.

  2. 1

    Maybe try to find the subreddit beforehand and then build a perfect product for them.

    1. 1

      That's another way to make sure you have traffic.
      and this is the type of approach I had in mind, but I ended up building a sort of small audience on Instagram.

      And now before I actually make the website, I wanted to have a list of subreddits or forums where people would appreciate the website I am building.

      So far I have tried https://www.reddit.com/r/Instagram and https://www.reddit.com/r/InstagramMarketing/ but I dont think I am doing it the right way.