3
16 Comments

I just read Courtlands Tweet! Should I build it?

Courtland Allen on Twitter

Hello there IH community! :)

This is my first post here and I am pretty excited.

I just read @csallen tweet and I have the same struggles dealing with bookmarking articles, podcasts, talks and so on...

"Putting all the books, podcast episodes, essays, blogs, and talks I want to consume into a single list feels like a huge improvement over using my bookmarks toolbar."

Do you guys think it would be a great idea to build some sort of website that let people create lists of their favorite X? But still, have the simple functionality of "bookmarking" things we want to consume later on.

What do you guys think?

  1. 2

    Heck yeah! I'd love a sort of twitter feed of all the content I consume.

    1. 1

      Awesome! What kind of functionality would be the most important to you? :)

      1. 1

        I'm picturing some sort of feed. For the MVP, all I'd want is:

        1. ability to enter my podcasts/blogs and see new posts aggregated in a feed
        2. every element in the feed should link to sources/podcasts
        3. i should be able to mark things off as "read" and have them disappear from my feed (but would be cool to see my full history)
        1. 1

          Thank you so much for that! :D
          I will tell you how everything goes!

        2. 1

          This comment was deleted 9 years ago

  2. 1

    No, just tell him to try Pocket

  3. 1

    Pocket is good option. Only drawback is need to apply tags on each link if want to filter later.

  4. 1

    This is like a "problem" without an obvious solution, where people use trello, airtable, todo notes (if not already using Pocket, Pinboard, Instapaper) to store stuff until something much better comes by. Would be interest to see what kind of design can crack this.

    1. 1

      You are straight to the point there!!

      1. 2

        To @d_luaz's point, I'm using Airtable for my list, and it's more than good enough. I'm not a huge fan of single-purpose tools like Pocket, because…

        • In my experience, I add lots of links to bookmarking tools and then never go back to revisit them.
        • Free-form application like Airtable and Google Drive allow me to control the format. Can I add notes without links to pocket? Can I add notes, images, or dates to each entry?
        • I already spend tons of time in Airtable and Google Drive, so I want to avoid opening a third tab.
        • I already have enough extensions and things to log into, and would prefer to avoid adding more unless necessary.
        • Even if Pocket fixed all of the above, the next-best alternatives to Pocket are would still be 99% as good, so I doubt I'd pay for Pocket.

        These aren't insurmountable barriers, btw, so much as obstacles that would need to be overcome for me to personally use something like Pocket.

        1. 2

          I agree with your observation that a bookmarking tool is not the best tool to do bookmark (ironic), or probably we are not really trying to do just bookmark. I agree I never go back to bookmark link.

          Basically we want to currate/store a list of interesting things (URL and not).

          The next question is how to make something at least 30% better than airtable/trello/markdown for this purpose. Fun idea: we should have a IH Prize (like XPrize) for the person who can come up with the best solution 😁

          1. 2

            I think you hit the nail on the head when you say we're not really trying to just bookmark. We want a curated list, and that's a totally different thing.

            I think some sort of ideation tool, where IHers can collaborate to come up with ideas and flesh them out would be great. It's on my list of things to investigate building this year.

        2. 1

          This is kind of confusing... I'm not a pocket user, but if you only have 1 bookmarks folder and do no organization whatsoever, won't they just be a list, like you want?

          Like can't you just hit ctrl-d (or whatever shortcut it is in your browser) only on pages of books you want to read and end up with that list you want?

          1. 3

            Yes, but the problems I listed above still apply. In my current list of books, I'm able to easily add metadata: when I added the book to the list, when I started reading it, when I finished, and a short note on why I'm interested in reading it that usually includes a link to whoever recommended it. You can't add any of this metadata to browser bookmarks.

            Going further, browser bookmarks are only bookmarks, meaning they have to point to a URL. Whereas my custom list can contain any text, URL or not. So if I see an interview with Marc Andreessen and he talks about his love for the biographies of the robber barons, I can quickly and simply add "robber baron bios" to my list. Again, not possible via browser bookmarks.

            And then there's searching, sorting, etc.

            1. 1

              Oh, I get it now. I missed the 2nd feature and was thinking it was a simple list of names, but you're talking about a list of structs or even free-form objects that include all kinds of other data along with the name of the book.

  5. 1

    that's nice idea, i'm already building this, 1 month ago i'm "freeze" my current project named "okwork" to build "bookmark" service with some extra "community" features called "linnk", stay tuned! :)

    1. 3

      That is awesome! I can clearly see that people want something like this. I'm not sure if anyone has cracked the code just yet tho.
      I might try to do an MVP and see if it get traction.