34
24 Comments

My 7 years twins had a business idea, I built it in one week.

Hi everyone, my name's Edson and I'm from France.

Mathlala (https://mathlala.com) was built after my twins Ethan and Chloé told me that they would love to have stories involving their real friends when doing additions and subtractions. I worked on it during one week and I’m proud to launch it today. You can’t imagine how good you feel when your kids are your first advisers 😊

With Mathlala, parents or teachers can now turn a simple operation like 2+3 into a customized story involving characters they want (their kids friends, their students, etc.)

Any parent or teacher here, please just check it out and send me your feedback! Any advice on how to promote it, please drop.

How did I built Mathlala ?

Stack : Laravel/VueJS/Spark/Forge
Template : Bootstrap template
Home page picture : Fiverr
Logo/Favicon : Dafont + Powerpoint
Stories : Myself + Friends + Fiverr

  1. 5

    Awesome idea.

    Really like it and I think it has grounds to become a fun tool for kids to use. Are you planning to monetise it or just have it as fun project? You could probably charge parents/teachers/schools in the long run.

    Tip: Since this is for kids to use, you need to be careful with the sign ups. Only people over 13 years old can signup to online systems and give you their details otherwise they will need to ask a parent to do it.

    Before spreading the word too much, make sure you have proper terms of service and statement in the signup process where users confirm they are over 13 years old.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children's_Online_Privacy_Protection_Act

    Good luck :)

    1. 1

      Thank you Emanuel
      I ll definitely follow your advices.

      Édit : just fyi, the tool targets parents or teachers who will generate math problems sheets and work on it with kids.

  2. 2

    Super cool! As a dad of 6 year old twins I was immediately interested. It's always way more fun for them to do problems like this when they have real names in them.

    One idea - let me enter the names, and then use a random generator to fill in the worksheet. I don't really need to go through and enter all of the numbers to create the problems (plus, as a dad of twins + business owner I don't really have the time).

    1. 3

      Thank you very much for the feed-back.
      I ll add a random generator button for you 😉

    2. 2

      Second the random generator. Plus a problem focus would be great like substraction with tens changes, e.g. 33-6

      German language support :-)

  3. 1

    Ace. Got a link to the fiverr page?

  4. 1

    Really awesome! It's the personalized stories thing mingled with math tasks.. Simple but effective. Naise! 🙌🏻

  5. 1

    I forwarded your website to the math specialist at my kids' school. Here's her reply:

    Wow! Thank you for this resource – I hadn’t heard of it before. I’m going to start using it with our next unit! Students really like when it is their own work that is shared, or when their names are in the problems. Super fun.

    1. 1

      Wow
      Thank you very much for sharing.
      Can you please introduce me to that spécialist ? I would love to gather some useful information to improve mathlala. You can email me at contact mathlala.com

      1. 1

        I sent her a message to see if it's okay to pass on her email address. I'll let you know.

  6. 1

    That is a neat idea! My sister is a teacher so might be useful for her.

    How many hours did it take you do you think?

    1. 3

      Thank you Tony,
      It took me one day to build the web app. Using Laravel Spark, I didn't have to care about Users management, Subscription etc. I took me one week to work on stories (I have a daily job)

  7. 1

    This is such a cool project! I'm going to test this out with our 5 year old tomorrow.

    PS - love that it's Laravel based :)

    1. 1

      I love Laravel too 😀

  8. 1

    That's beautiful and I love it as a father. Home page picture is very attractive, can I have reference of the Fiverr, I like to see more of their work.

    Minor Bug: On Firefox the dropdown(with numbers doesn't look good(it shows tiny up/down arrows). If you want more details I can send a screenshot.)

    To promote:
    I think this site will get some love on producthunt. I suggest you get it hunted by some popular hunter, I heard they will bring more attention and upvotes. The major advantage of producthunt is many other sites will write/blog about the top 5 producthunts.

    I think the best way to promote is to make it popular in mom groups, school groups(on facebook).

    1. 3

      Hi Kishore,
      Thanks for your comment and your suggestions on how to promote Mathlala. I'll send you the Fiverr gig right now.

  9. 1

    This is a great idea and as my Daughter has just started school so I definitely trying this.

    Congrats on the launch and will be interesting to see the progress over time.

    1. 1

      Thank you Chris
      I ll keep the IH Family posted 😉

  10. 1

    I like this idea, I could totally try that with my nephew!

    Good luck @kimbak

  11. 1

    Its a cool idea, but your fake testimonials is a real turn-off, and may be illegal depending on your country's laws.

  12. 1

    @kimbak - This is a pretty awesome idea. I can see how this is engaging for kids.

    Good luck.

    1. 2

      Thanks 😉

  13. 1

    This looks great. Congratulations.

    What are the next steps for you and how did you plan on reaching your target audience?

    Also do your children use it? (since it is in english).

    1. 2

      Thanks
      My first goal was to launch Mathlala quickly to test the concept. I ve identified some teachers groups that may be interested in testing the product. I ll contact them in the coming days.

      Regarding my Kids, i m working on french stories that will be available next month