6
17 Comments

Is python a sufficient language to build modern web apps?

If so could you link some interesting apps made with Python?

  1. 5

    Yes. Reddit.

  2. 3

    I know a lot of people have already chipped in but I couldn't resist because I love Python. Yes, you can absolutely use it to build modern web apps! Check out this Quora post to see some of the big players using the language in their stack. You'll hear that Python struggles in certain performance areas related to concurrency/threading but you'll rarely run into those problems and if you do you can certainly overcome them.

  3. 3

    as always, "it depends". what's it do? i'm sure pythons more than sufficient.

    fwiw, i've heard great things. we use it a bit at work with Flask. but mostly to serve static html, that then reaches out to another api.

    python's on my list of languages to get more comfortable with.

  4. 2

    If I had to choose 1 language, it would be JS. I know, it's one of the most hated and polarizing languages, but its still pretty much required on the front-end. Plenty of big companies such as Uber also use JS (Node.js) on the backend.

    It depends on what you want to build. JS gets you web apps, and even mobile thanks to React Native. Python is the language to use for data science though.

  5. 2

    Python is my language of choice for most projects.
    I especially like the framework Django as it offers a lot of things out of the box.

    For example Tracy Osborn (who has already been on the indiehackers podcast) built her startup WeddingLovely using Django. She also released a great book about building webapps using Django: https://hellowebbooks.com/learn-django/

    You could also take a look at https://www.codingforentrepreneurs.com/, which offers a lot of great videos about building webapps using Django.

    There are a lot of great companies that use Python such as Zapier, AppSumo, Instagram, Disqus, Patreon.

    At the end of the day, pick a language that you are comfortable with and go from there. No need to worry about languages.

  6. 2

    I can highly encourage you to start with Ruby on Rails. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube. And to name a few sites that are built on Rails:

    • AirBnb
    • Ask.fm
    • Dribbble
    • Fiverr
    • GitHub (THE choice for coders rg. code management)
    • Groupon
    • Kickstarter
    • Indiegogo
    • Twitch
    • Zendesk
    • Twitter (in their early years)

    That's the reason I've chosen to go with Rails. In Rails you are more of a composer in the smyphony than a musician.

  7. 1

    No one mentioned it yet, but any "modern" web app is going to need JavaScript in the frontend, at least some bits of it, so Python alone is not the full solution, but it's still a good backend choice.

  8. 1

    You can definitely build modern web apps with python, just look here at all the companies that use python in their stack -> https://stackshare.io/python

  9. 1

    For sure. Lots of huge projects use it.

  10. 1

    Thanks for all of the replies. You guys are awesome!

  11. 1

    Many sites are built with python (youtube, dropbox, reddit), ruby, or php (wordpress); so I would say these are pretty battle tested. These languages are good for productivity, not necessarily performance.

    If you need better performance, you can use Java or .NET (StackOverflow is built with .NET).

    Do you have a specific niche use-case?

    PS: I build https://www.travelopy.com/ with Python + Flask.

    1. 1

      This comment was deleted 2 years ago

      1. 1

        Not really. I have been developing using Python + Flask for a few years prior to Travelopy, so I sort of got my own project layouts.

        BTW, I am using Google App Engine, so I am stucked with Python2.7. If you are interested: https://code.luasoftware.com/tutorials/google-app-engine/flask-on-google-app-engine/

  12. 1

    100%. Google use python. Also I see Reddit sited as well.

    http://highscalability.com/blog/category/example will have more examples.

  13. 0

    Absolutely! Python Flask (http://flask.pocoo.org/) is a great place to get started. I tried many times to get into Django, but just found it was way over the top for most of my needs.

  14. 0

    Sure, I don't see why not.

  15. -2

    It's sufficient, but it's a pretty poor choice. You'll find better frameworks and more engaged communities if you look at Ruby (Rails), Elixir (Phoenix) or PHP (Laravel). Python is also weaker than any of those choices in terms of performance.

    Python is great for general purpose computing (and it dishes out to C/C++ libs for computationally intensive tasks), but it would be very far down my list of choices for making a web app.

  16. 1

    This comment was deleted 2 years ago