4
6 Comments

Feedback on landing page please - Mug

Mug - Animated Video Chat for iOS. Animoji meets Chat Roulette.

Hi everyone, you might remember I set on a mission to create a product in 10 days - well today was day 10!! Its been an amazing and tough challenge - but here it is:

https://mug.chat

I'd love your feedback on anything and everything - do you like the teaser site, app idea, design?

Thanks all.
Ben

  1. 3

    I didn't realize this was a chat roulette style app until I checked the FAQ.

    I think the content should be focused around talking to strangers over video, without having to show your real face. With the current landing page I thought the app was something like facetime.

    1. 1

      Thanks Ben, that's good honest feedback and I really appreciate it. It's hard to know which features to shout about in the headlines, and I did purposefully leave the roulette part for the Features section. Maybe I'll try and sneak it into the top part of the site too.

    2. 1

      I agree with this.
      Also I would play around with color scheme on landing page they seem to be a little off for me

      1. 1

        OK PDO, thanks also.

        Can I ask what you think is wrong with the colours? They are supposed to be bold, neon, striking, but still complimentary to each other....

  2. 1

    I'll focus on the design part, since that's what I do.

    1. Your CTA button is not really a CTA. It doesn't call to any action. It should.
    2. On the other hand, the very next section under Hero is beta signup. You're wasting space with a button that scrolls down just a few pixels below. So I'd put the signup form in the Hero.
    3. You're describing features instead of benefits. Is "amazing characters", "seamless technology" and "best face tracking" any good to me as a user? I don't really care how the app works and what's under the hood. The app is about fun. I'd focus on coming up with benefits around "having fun" with a messaging app.
    4. The fact that it's a chat-roulette type app is hidden. I'd be disappointed after downloading the app and would probably leave a bad review in the app store.
    5. The "big eyes" section just above the footer is a waste of space and it only duplicates the content of Hero section.
    6. The animation in the Hero section looks... broken. Doesn't look like seamless technology and best face tracking. Looks like a glitchy gif. I'd put a face of someone using the app, making faces and the app's screen with those faces reflected in animated characters.
    7. Overall look and feel could definitely use some work. The site is readable, but it doesn't look polished. Whitespace is off. It looks a bit chaotic.
    8. Typography is a mess. That shows in FAQ - it's hard to distinguish questions from answers. Some answers are in regular, some are in bold text. Why?
    9. Phone icon in the middle of the app's screen is misleading. Is it a chat or calling app? If I were a first-time user I don't think I'd press the icon that what I think means "call this stranger on the phone".

    I really like this part of the tagline: "works on all iPhones (not just the $1000 ones)." even though it's misleading - MUG doesn't work on iPhone SE, does it?

    There's a lot of room for improvement, but it's a decent start.

    Good luck ;)

    1. 1

      Hi Paweł, and Wow - amazing feedback. Thanks for putting in so much effort on that response.

      I agree with everything you said. You can probably tell - I am a techie, not a designer ;)

      Cheers,
      Ben