4
11 Comments

What do you guys feel about copycats?

Right after I launched my website, codingvideoz, a parked domain with similar name started doing a very similar thing. I know I shouldn't worry about this, what would you do?

  1. 4

    Only thing you can do: be better than they are.

    1. 1

      Thanks. Guess there is no other way.

  2. 3

    Every good idea will have copycats. What differentiates codingvideoz from the rest of the market? Figure out your points of differentiation and how they add value to your users. That should create some barriers to being copied.

    1. 2

      Point of differentiation, I guess that is how I will take the lead

  3. 2

    There are copycats everywhere. Google was not the first search engine. Lyft vs Uber. I can't tell the difference in the fast casual pizza businesses... pie 5, blaze, pieology, MOD and I'm sure there's more. There are so many ESP's, all have different features: Mailchimp, Aweber, constantcontact, drip, convertkit, etc..

    Just make it a better product and/or different. Thomasm1964 made a great point about marketshare as well.

    Just keep plugging away and make it awesome :) ideas < execution < timing. Don't worry about copycats, good luck!

  4. 2

    Think about the sheer amount of effort and energy required to get something to a polished state. It's often quite enormous and takes a long time. It's not as simple as Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, the copier still has to put in all the effort. That serves as a pretty good barrier to entry right there and if someone (or yourself) is still willing to put in the effort to copy then may the best execution win.

    There's still market research, customer development and marketing to consider as well.

  5. 2

    If they have some additional feature that you think is a good idea, copy them back. Moreover, if it looks like they have a path to profitability, and you don't, copy that as well.

  6. 2

    My own project is a copycat, to a degree. I don't think there's anything wrong with providing the same service, if anything it will encourage you to improve. Competition betters you, and is proof of a need!

    1. 1

      Awesome, that is sound.

  7. 8

    This comment was deleted 7 years ago

    1. 1

      That is a unique take and I love the idea of see the bigger picture. Thanks.

      For the sake of discussion though, I would rather use the possible number of target customer than the whole of country’s population. Building a product that a whole country or town will use is very unlikely.

      1. 4

        This comment was deleted 7 years ago

        1. 1

          👌🏾Again I have to say well put!