20
34 Comments

What does your IndieWorkspace look like?

Hi Indie Hackers,

I've just grabbed a Black Friday discount on a domain name and deployed my tiny site for PH Makers Festival.

The story: https://medium.com/@jkostolansky/what-does-your-indieworkspace-look-like-7d9d845ea46b

Product Hunt: https://www.producthunt.com/posts/indieworkspace

The site: https://www.indieworkspace.com/

Feel free to contribute and show your IndieWorkspace :)

  1. 8

    Great idea and super timely.

    Will motivate me to clean my room today to take a picture 😜

    1. 7

      BTW there’s an idea for you right away. Add a feature so that users must upload a new picture every week, otherwise it all gets removed. Will be a great motivator to keep the workspace clean, lol

      1. 1

        Hahaha, thanks, I will consider that. Looking forward to your photo!

          1. 1

            Thanks, I have the same old speakers in 2.1 configuration :)

        1. 2

          To take this even further:

          A website for (indie-)makers where they can have their profiles and advertise their products — but only as long as they keep their workspace clean. For that they have to upload a photo of their workspace every day/week. To prevent making all the photos in advance, add a requirement to take a photo with a random word on the screen, which your site will generate daily and display in big text. The community then can flag users who took a photo with a wrong word.

          You can consider this as a spin-off project. I’d build something like this myself — I’d use every possibility to get traffic — but I’m a total n00b when it comes to web coding, and too focused on another thing now.

          P.S. You’re in Slovakia where? I’ve been to Kosice, Presov, Zilina, Trencin, and Bratislava.
          P.P.S. Oh I see on your profile, Bratislava. Nice, been there this summer and actually liked it!

          1. 1

            Thank you, interesting idea :).

            I'm in Trnava, it's a town near Bratislava.

            1. 2

              Oh yeah, Trnava, the train passed through it. Didn’t visit it though — I was heading towards Prague stopping in 6 cities on the road, which was a lot already.

  2. 4

    Ok got it all working now. Thanks for the impetus to clean my desks.

    My workspace https://www.indieworkspace.com/spaces/c2063a7f-3520-46d3-939a-cf54c7e967cd

    1. 1

      Thanks for your contribution, your space looks nice. I'm just curious - how big is that external monitor on the left? And, don't you have problems with a prolonged standing? Because it looks like the "standing desk" is a permanent one.

      1. 3

        I think its 27 inches. It's a fairly old monitor.

        For the standing I do switch to the sitting desk throughout the day for other stuff but I also have fairly thick padding underneath the carpet at the standing desk which helps.

        1. 1

          Really cool keyboard 👌🏽

  3. 4

    this is great man. Really gives some insight into all of us as we create. I'll post a picture as soon as I can

    1. 1

      Thank you Travis, that would be great! :)

  4. 3

    Fun idea! And reminds me I need to take a bit of time out and straighten up my workspace, haha.

    1. 1

      Thanks. And don't worry, it's about the reality, not another instagram-like-fake-images :)

  5. 2

    It's a nice idea tbh. I always think I need the 'best' workspace to make a best indie developer.
    Can't wait until the site is filled with a bunch of unique and cozy workspaces!

    1. 1

      Thank you very much! :)

  6. 2

    Absolutely a beautiful idea :D I love it!!!!
    I'll contribuite to it as soon as possible while getting ideas from all the people who already populate the website.
    Great work ;)

    1. 1

      Thanks! Looking forward to your space :)

    1. 1

      Nice setup, thanks for sharing!

  7. 2

    Great idea! only thing that kinda sucks right now is that you're limited to 1 image.. Can't really get the scope of my worksapce that way.

    1. 1

      Thanks! I've been considering multiple images, but I think most people would upload only 1 photo anyway and I want to go lean. Especially with a project that will probably not generate any income :).

      PS: Your space looks really nice, I like it! Good job!

      1. 2

        Income will come if people find it useful. Improve the UX/UI a little bit and add at least 3-4 photos. Think about the future? Weekly Top 10, Instagram. Tips, interviews, best practices.

        Think BIG bro ;) It's a cool idea.

  8. 2

    Been meaning to clean up my workspace, guess I'll do that and share a photo, site looks great as does the rest of your personal branding.

    1. 1

      Thank you very much, Justin. I'm glad you've taken a look at my other sites. Looking forward to your photo!

  9. 2

    I think your sign up process is broken. I've just tried it twice with two different emails and after signing up I am not able to login.

    I also requested an email login link and a password reset and haven't received either.

    1. 1

      I just got a confirm your account email but the link had expired by the time it reached my inbox.

      edit: received a second email with the same contents which worked.

      1. 2

        Sorry about that :(. I have some email delivery issues now. I think it's because the sending domain is too new. I'm using Mailgun and this is the first time I have this problem.

        When you reset a password for a non-confirmed account, you get the same welcome e-mail, just the confirmation link is newly generated. The link is valid for 1 month currently, but in your case, it was just replaced with the newer one, so the old one didn't work.

        1. 1

          I signed up a bit ago and have not got an email yet. I think if your going to require e-mail confirmation of a new account, that that email better arrive within about 30 seconds, or people will just move on. Prefered way would be to allow people in, and maybe not publicly post their content until it's confirmed. That way users can still start to use the site without having to wait for an email to come in if it does get delayed.

          1. 1

            Hi Tony. I'm using Mailgun to deliver these emails. Does your email address look like "...@m..."? If yes, than your mail server responded two times with "Error: timeout exceeded" and I have no control over it.

            1. 1

              That’s what I was getting at with changing to a system that doesn’t rely on a confirmation email before doing anything. It lets your users at least continue even if there are issues elsewhere on the web.

  10. 1

    This comment was deleted 8 years ago