7
15 Comments

Show IH: 2019 Challenge - An MVP every two months - MVP #1 introduction

Already decided which will be my first MVP for my personal 2019 Challenge - An MVP every two months.

Check it out here https://javoscript.com/blog/post/2019-challenge-mvp-1-startups-from-the-bottom-newsletter-community

Would you use something like this?

  1. 2

    Yup, go for it and I would subscribe

    1. 1

      Nice! Are you already subscribes to the newsletter?

      1. 1

        Yes, just did!

  2. 1

    As a subscribed user to the Startups From The Bottom newsletter, I'd really like to see this archive/forum online! It would be good to be able to bookmark or favorite ideas to keep around and re-read later. Maybe even be able to comment and discuss them with other people something that today can't be done since it's an email newsletter. Also, social media share buttons would be a nice addition.

    What about monetization? Will you have ads? Sponsors maybe? Or a paid subscription with some extra features perhaps.

    Also, is there any way to subscribe to your blog? I'd like to follow up on your 2019 MVP challenge!

    1. 1

      Glad to see we experience the same pain points - it kind of validates the project.

      Monetization will be entirely through ads or sponsors. The final idea, discussed with the Startups From The Bottom team, is that it should be a totally free experience to the users.

      No subscribe functionality on my blog.. that would be a nice add-on I guess. But if you want to get updates about it, you can follow me here on IH, on Medium (https://medium.com/@javoscript), or on Twitter (@javoscript), where repost all the articles :)

  3. 1

    If its an MVP, why not build it using some ready to use forum rather than building one from scratch?

    How do you plan to get the ideas/pains? Will you source them from some newletters?

    1. 1

      I won't build everything feoms scratch. I have already found a Laravel package that implements all the forum functionality. I just have to wire things up.

      On the idea generation, all the ideas sent in the Startups From The Bottom newsletter will be uploaded. In fact, it will be the official Startups From The Bottom website, as I already got in touch with them and they liked the idea. It is all explained in the blog post. If something is not clear, any feedback regarding the writing is appreciated too (English is not my native language).

  4. 1

    Sounds nice, and I understand your motivation. Subjectively I have trouble assessing instant-meta-jump [1] approach.

    On the plus side there's courage, and hey maybe it's your personal fit. On the downside this way you don't have any solid precursor supporting why your ideas are good and worth following.

    Latter might be a barrier to subscription. Don't let this dishearten you though, the result is likely inspiring for both you and others.

    Edit: This triggered memory of https://www.squidi.net/three/ (300 game mechanics given away).

    [1]: I call instant-meta-jump when someone finds a role of giving advice on how to fill a given role. For example, wanting to find a job, but lacking a job you create one and become a career advisor.

    1. 1

      Not sure if I get what you want to say.

      The ideas that will be uploaded on the website are not going to be of my own. They'll be from the Startups From The Bottom newsletter. The newsletter already has a big audience, so I guess that proofs that the ideas are worth reading.

      What the website attempts to add to the experience is a place where all subscriptors will be able to interact with each other - discuss about the posted ideas, partner to implement them, etc.

      Kind of like IH, an indie-centric-forum, but built around another community.

      1. 1

        Thank you, I misread you. I wonder if you corresponded with the authors of the newsletter about their approval? I imagine their standpoint could be on a large spectrum from "It's cool" to "Don't rip our content". Never hurts to be courteous.

        1. 1

          Yeah man. I explained it in the post too. I told them about the idea, they liked it and we are now partnering on the project.

  5. 1

    Great idea. Im in.

  6. 1

    Did you mean to post a link?

    1. 1

      Oops! Fixed it :)