1
2 Comments

Markdown blog and indexing

Hi all, i'd like to know if by your experience non-mainstream blogging solutions miss something in terms of indexing, visibility, whatever.

For example, i am a big fan of markdown blogs, and so i was both looking at ghost.io and also solutions to deploy by myself (pelican, jekyll etc). Choosing wordpress.com is clearly easier in terms of tools out-of-the-box, but in the cons of choosing something different, is there something that can hit 'web presence' ?

Thanks !

  1. 2

    I use Jekyll for my site and it's been great. I've been going for a few years now and a few of my posts rank well on Google. If you like Markdown I highly recommend going the static site route. And if you do go that route, check out Netlify for good (free!) hosting.

    One nice side benefit of static sites IMO is that if your site does make it onto the front page of HN or something, your server is much more likely to keep up :)

  2. 1

    I haven't had any issues, don't see why there would be any. You do need to take care to make sure you're generating things like sitemap, twitter/facebook tags, etc, but that's true of any platform, it's just that the more turnkey solutions usually do it out of the box or have a plugin for it.