9
9 Comments

Stock market junkie looking for like-minded to build & test

Have a few ideas that involve some simple scraping on 2 platforms. One platform involves simply retrieving the data (contract awards) and then displaying the awards for only publicly traded co's.
The other platform is more complex on how to break down the data into actionable intelligence, think rising/falling website traffic etc.
Ideally would like to backtest the first one if possible but not sure how the api etc works. I don't have the tech brain power to pull this off.
Ideal person would be someone with some knowledge or interest in stocks/algo's and have the technical knowledge to implement the strategies & backtest if possible.

  1. 1

    Hey,

    I am a developer with huge interest in finance and stock markets. Let me know how I can help.

  2. 1

    I have programming background but I don't know a single thing about stocks so if you think that I can learn , I will be glad to discuss this further.

    1. 1

      This comment was deleted 8 years ago

  3. 1

    Interesting idea, I wish I could help!!

  4. 1

    Sounds like a cool idea, though I don't have the chops to pull it off. Reminds me of a story of a hedge fund counting cars in parking lots in order to estimate revenue for retailers. I feel like this could be really big if it worked (though you would probably want to trade on this yourself rather than publish it).

    1. 1

      Ideally yes. If it could be backtested & I think it can that would speed this up exponentially.

  5. 1

    Have you looked into the legality of scraping this data?

    1. 2

      I use the Intrinio api to get data and run technical analysis. They offer free trial periods and a startup option with six months of free runway. They've got an array of interesting and useful data sources.

      https://intrinio.com/

    2. 1

      Both platforms have api's that furnish the data (I'm 99% sure the needed data is avail) so I guess using the word scrape was a poor choice on my part. I could be wrong but I do not think there are any legal issues for what I want to do. There have to be tons of people doing this already. I just want the onfo segmented down to publicly traded companies.

  6. 1

    This comment was deleted 8 years ago

    1. 1

      This comment was deleted 8 years ago