3
11 Comments

Ask IH: I just bought flightmode.app - what should I do with it?

Dear IH

A couple of minutes ago I checked namecheap to see if flightmode.app was available, and it was, so I bought it. Why? It looks nice, sounds nice, and I enjoy travelling and being in airports (I know).

Like you, I use my phone a lot when I travel. Often it sucks. Shitty wi-fi, low battery, crappy UI that's hard to use when stressed/sunbathing/always.

What's your pain points when travelling? What could be fun? Your own personal flight logger? An app that points you to the nearest rooftop bar? A social media app that only works in-flight?

Thanks.

  1. 7

    Ooh! I've had a brainwave!

    How about an app that you activate shortly before going on a flight, and it uses your browsing history to go and downloads content from all the sites you frequently use. CNN, Reddit, IndieHackers etc. Then, when you're on the plane, you'll have loads of stuff to read.

    Seriously, if you don't build it, I will.

    1. 2

      Great idea! I don't know about the browsing history part (it may scare some people away), but maybe if the user set some sites in the app.

      Also, the user could put in the time of the flight so using some time-to-read algorithm the app could download just enough content to be read throughout the flight.

    2. 2

      Cool idea. I was thinking of making a Raspberry PI project like that. The idea was to have it download articles, videos etc. automatically while connected to the home network. Then when traveling I'd put it in my back pack, set it in AP wifi mode and have it serve files to a mobile/mac/pc app.

    3. 1

      I like this idea, maybe just an app that downloads + caches static/offline versions of an inputted url and all the pages it links to. (of the same domain name)

    4. 1

      Good idea. I wonder if it makes sense to download stuff you have already seen, or to use your history/preferences to guess what you will like to read.

  2. 3

    Meditation App!

    1. 1

      Why not :) meditating on the plane with your noice cancelling gear on would be quite nice.

  3. 1

    Really cool name. To me, flightmode means peace and quiet from distractions. Meditation or distraction blocking app of some kind would be cool. :-)

  4. 1

    Assistance logging into in flight wifi.

    Is it up yet? What URL do I go to? How are the speeds? etc

  5. 1

    When I think of flight mode, I think offline. So I would start brainstorming ideas that have to do with offline:

    -an offline video library of interesting videos, articles?
    -a bluetooth messaging app that you can do offline?
    -an app where you can message flight attendants for stuff?
    -fun offline games that involve flying?

    1. 1

      +1 for offline videos but the legal issues would worry me.