4
9 Comments

Anyone using self hosted git service instead of github/bitbucket/gitlab?

Was curious about this since the recent acquisition of Microsoft on Github.
If so, do you have a backup system in place? Do you have any security measure on the self hosted git server?

I have a Gitea instance setup yesterday and planning to migrate repo from Github to Gitea, was wondering if the effort is worth it or not.

  1. 2

    I did in the past. But at the end, it costs more than to use Gitlab and brings no added value to your business. It's even worse because probably your backup strategy or recover plan will fail at some point.
    This is what happened to me, I lost all my repos after a server crash and the backup task did not run for a while, which I didn't notice before I needed a backup...

    Now I use Gitlab. The free version is enough for me so that means less expenses, less waste of time maintaining my own server for git, less risk.

    1. 1

      Disagree that it's of zero value. Many use cases require confidentiality of code and Ggithub/gitlab don't do anything about the host (gitlab/giuthub) having code access

    2. 1

      That's a really good point, my condolence on the loss of your repos... I should take this as lesson and shouldn't attempt to rely on my own git service / backup.

      Thanks for sharing this!

  2. 2

    I think of git hosting like I think of logging aggregators and PaaS systems. It is a commodity. Unless your core value proposition is that you can do one of those things better (or you have to for regulatory purposes etc) then you should use something off the shelf.

    1. 2

      Good point, I dont see myself doing these better , I have no regulatory purpose, its just for personal use.

      Thanks!

  3. 1

    We use Gitbucket for last 2 yrs. While it doesn't have a lot of features if you just want essential features then give it a try!

  4. 1

    Many people self-host Gitlab. It's open source.

  5. 1

    Do you want to maintain one more thing? We used bitbucket at my last company, but it was a 2000 person business with a dedicated team for that stuff.

    1. 1

      Hmm I didn't thought much maintenance is needed at first, I have changed my mind after seeing reply to this thread now, thanks!