Hi,
I'm a developer and very little to no marketing skills.
However I would like to use the last two month to improve my marketing skills ?
How would you go about doing that , resources would you use to improve ? what books would you read or take a marketing course.
Any recommendations would be highly appreciated.
Hey! Here's a good starting place: https://www.julian.com/
Read the growth guide in detail, super useful no BS place to start.
thank you.
I'm on the same boat... As a developer for more than 20 years, I can build and publish any product. By the other hand, I'm suffering as hell to understand digital marketing, especially social media.
What I'm learning is that field tests worth more than theory in most of the cases.
With no doubt, I learn more in this one week of the campaign for travelnotes.io than months of courses about digital market.
Try to go to the practice, even if you have just an Idea, publish a simple landing page collecting e-mails and try to generate traffic for it (not paid of course). You will learn a lot.
I read Traction last week and found it incredibly useful in how it lays out some of the ways you can grow, with case studies and a framework you can apply your startup/project with.
https://www.amazon.com/Traction-Startup-Achieve-Explosive-Customer/dp/0241242533/
In a similar boat - I've started a (relatively for me) agressive marketing campaign, going with content marketing and social first and have youtube coming next.
I see there might be a few of us interested in this. Maybe form a little group for accountability, share ideas, real world results etc.???
Just a thought
Hey, same boat as well!
Books, courses, and articles can be pretty useful.
One other thing I'd suggest is start writing. Even if it's just a doc, write like you're trying to sell. Try to boil your ideas down from a paragraph into as few words as possible.
It's so difficult for me, I just have to keep trying. Copy and marketing are very closely linked.