I launched a spaced repetition app in the middle of last year. If you're interested: http://cleverdeck.com. Besides posting it to Hacker News and Product Hunt, I didn't do much to market it.
It's grown organically, people seem to really like it, and I'm interested in doing more to promote it. I think I can write valuable content that my target market would enjoy, but I'm having trouble understanding whether it would be more valuable to write content on my own domain (cleverdeck.com) or focus on guest blogging - or a mix of the two. I'm not interested in building a personal brand, but I've also seen recommendations to focus on building a Medium presence or contributing to Medium publications.
Any tips or help clarifying the best way to approach this would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Does your own domain get much traffic?
Visibility is the reason why folks would publish on Medium, guest blogging platforms, Facebook, etc...
It's one thing to publish a blog post. It's another thing to actively drive traffic to it.
Google will eventually do its magic if you keep doing the right things, but make sure that your posts would actually reach and grow your audience.
No, it really doesn't. That was my main concern - I don't really have any social reach right now, so driving traffic to my own domain would be a real struggle at first. I'm guessing I should try a mix, measure the results, and go from there.
I dont have much experience with guest blogging but I can recommend having a Blog (or other content) on your own domain.
My main reason is SEO followed by the control to make changes or addons to the content whenever you want.
As of SEO I think it is self explanatory. Every backlink to any of your content is also a backlink to your main domain + product. You can have pieces which are good for social sharing, some which are found in search engines and others which are good to get backlinks.
As of guest blogging we try to get one guest blog opportunity for each 5-7 articles we write on our own blog. I think this is too less. But time and resources are constrained as usual ;-)
Try a Mix, define a goal and a timeline 6-12 months and evaluate afterwards ;-)
Thanks Patric! That's really helpful.
Quick point - before checking out your site (SSL please), I didn't immediately understand what a spaced repetition app is and why I should want it.
That may be a problem for you, as I've actually used spaced repetition before, am a fan of the technique, and yet still didn't understand from your description why I should care about your product enough to check it out.
CleverDeck is focussed on language learning. Why not reach out to bloggers and influencers (for want of a better term) who already have a large following in the language/travel space? Then try to cross-post or collaborate...
Hopefully a b2c content marketing genius can step in and offer some better advice ;)
Good luck!