So, I have several products, in different stages.
I want to hear from people that have grown their user base from 0 to 10k or more.
So far what I've tried is Product Hunt, Reddit, and just getting things out there. Some have worked and others haven't.
How do you guys do it?
(I don't have a huge twitter following just 50 followers)
I launched in January and right now my product has about 250 users.
I want to learn and really execute well for my app that's in beta, for when it launches.
I actually posted on this, which has over 200 places to post your startup and nothing really.
Hacker News isn't that helpful unless you become the top for the day.
https://github.com/mrcrilly/PlacesToPostYourStartup
Think about getting the first 10 users, then 100, then 1k, then 10k.
Keep listening to user feedback and try to turn your initial users into speakerboxes so they talk about your product. Keep gathering feedback.
We had a great success using ProductHunt and that drove good quality users on our platform. There are a bunch of other things that we did such as driving Twitter traffic, some offline meetups, etc.
Here's our story - https://blog.codegiant.io/how-a-saas-startup-got-its-first-1-000-users-de0d719a45fa
Yeah, User feedback is everything. I was actually sitting for a whole hour with one user for my my beta app the other day.
Thank you for sharing your story. It was a really neat read.
It is exactly what I needed! Thank you
"if you build it they will come"
I don't like that saying, it should be... "if you build your audience first then they will come"
For me, I focused on growing my audience/ community first and then figuring out what product they need.
I spent 12 months focused on growing my followers on Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest. During this period I shared engaging content and grew rather quickly. I figured out tools/ methods to automate the process and quickly found a routine to spend at least 1 hour EVERY SINGLE DAY growing my community. After 12 months I had gained over 1 million followers across all my social and I'm not at 2 million 2 years on.
I even created courses to show others how to do it - http://www.growyourclicks.com/
interesting. So did you have a successful and sustainable growth with your product or business ? Or are you still figuring what product and are focusing on your course?
I've actually created a few side projects on the back of my community:
https://workforthem.com/
http://www.growyourclicks.com/
https://www.fiveideasaday.com/
http://desket.co/
http://mousecrafted.com/
The following doesn't apply to all products, but I found that contributing to some Facebook groups related to the topic of your product helps a lot.
Yeah, I actually tried that out as well, but I feel it's really flooded.
I'm a part of several for Alexa Skills and other things, and no one really ever checks products.
I said to contribute, not to spam. That means try to help people with questions and eventually talk about your product, normally on comments on facebook posts, not directly posting on the facebook pages.
I didn't say, I spammed....
I contribute with conversations and ideas, just how I am right now asking questions, and not spamming with any product link... see any link or ties to my product?
ok sorry :)
Actually here you should put a link to your product as we are builders so we want to know what you are building :D (at least I was missing the link hahaha)
yeah, but as you mentioned.. I want to contribute and NOT spam ;)
Marketing, marketing, marketing. Running a business is 80% marketing and only 20% product
There's no shortcut. Don't be passive (posting links to your product on portals), but be active. As mentioned in this thread, go and help people, eg. prospect customers within the niche/industry you operate in.
Well, depends on the product. My latest product got 90% of customers from word of mouth, no marketing. However, I'm aware that if I do marketing, the growth will accelerate. If you find a good, smaller niche and you solve a big program really good, people will talk.
how many customers and what is your product?
I feel like if it's a product that is needed for a business need it's different. Most of the products that I'm working on, are solving problems, one is huge, the other ones not as big, but still as you said it all depends on the product.
I don't know where this "passive posting linking" shortcut situation might of appeared, or what I lacked was more context and explanation so my fault.
Never said, I was looking for a shortcut, more or less, just to hear from people on this that have done that. Started from 0 and grown... in this case, I would love to hear how YOU did it.
I want to hear from people that have built communities and maintained them.
May I add, that I am part and active in each community that I am, In PH (I know Ryan and the team, part of the beta group chat we have on there), Reddit, etc.. I help people. I provide feedback, sit in user testing sessions and more.
You get some advice/tips/comments based on what you put in the OP. Be thankful for that or change the OP to be more precise in what you have done and what precisely you like help with—helps both you and others.
🖐
This comment was deleted 8 years ago
I was , and as you can see someone did understand... he posted his story of how HE did it... and now it's the most upvoted comment for a reason.
This is not about been thankful, please, just don't.
I was very clear.
"I want to hear from people that have grown their user base from 0 to 10k or more."
It is you my dear friend that failed to look over this line.... reading is part of great communication.
Talking down to people that are trying to help you is not a great look dude.
This is about clarity and this is not about talking down to people, dude. I don't come here thinking "Oh I'm going to talk down to people", not the reason, I joined or am. I just want to learn and grow as much as the next person.
This comment was deleted 7 years ago