21
21 Comments

I spend way too much time on here than actaully shipping!

I am addicted to reading other people's stories and how they made it instead of focusing on launching my own products.

Anyone else have this problem? What do you do to overcome this over consumption of information.

  1. 5

    It's good you realize that this is a problem and you admit that you have it. These are the first steps to solve the issue.

    You read the stories to gain information, learn from others and be inspired, right? But why do you want to learn and be inspired? The answer is: to actually work on your product and ship!

    If you keep this in mind, it'll help you realize that you need to focus more on building rather than reading.

    Also your interactions here will be more meaningful as you build as you have something to show the community. When people can see what you've built they can provide you better feedback.

    Also something very important to note is that fact that what you're doing might be a form of procrastination which is alarming. Stop delaying yourself. Get things done dude.

    Good luck.

    1. 1

      Totally loving the idea how my interactions here will be more meaningful once I start shipping.

    1. 2

      Word to live by.

      1. 1

        One of the top 5 most important words.

  2. 2

    Knowledge gained without execution is wasted. But execution with no knowledge is an IndieHacker's death. Don't fear taking time to learn. But ACT on that knowledge, and contribute back what you learn.

    Everything in moderation.

  3. 2

    I think that's everyone problem and that's why the world has so much "wanters" and not much "doers". If you want to succeed, you have to change to the "doers" world :)

  4. 2

    Hi 👋. I love habits and if you love IndieHackers, lean into it. I checked your history and you’re asking lots of great questions of people. Do you know the questions you’re asking are the same questions I have too?

    For example, you asked on a chrome extension post how they were monetizing it. People often post about browser extensions here and if you can be an expert on that, and help people build business around browser extensions by asking questions and linking to resources and writing your own, that’s value 🙌

    That’s just one example; we’re all curious and winging it and looking to sponge up the same info you are 👍

    1. 2

      Thanks for the kind words! I will definitely think about that because I love Chrome Extensions. I am actually building and hoping to launch it over the weekend.

  5. 1

    Just time box it to a short period of time per day.

    The majority of information about whether YOU'RE going to make it or not comes from you shipping. You learn maybe 5% max from everything you've read/watched/listened to.

  6. 1

    I think it is pretty normal to feel lost when you try to start something on your own and this is the reason why so many people try to find inspiration and guidance on websites like here. I guess as your entrepreneurial muscle grows, you are going to spend less and less time here.

  7. 1

    I read way more non-fiction books that I 'need'. But I accepted that for me it is a form of relaxation. So I don't necessarily read to get new ideas, but for fun.
    It is, in a way, a bad habit. And it can absorb a lot of time. So I either allocate specific time for it or do it only once I've done tasks related to achieving my goals.

  8. 1

    @tekeste it's a kind of procrastination. You should read this book : (Solving the Procrastination Puzzle by Timothy A. Pychyl) https://amzn.to/2u92qm0 (take care, it's an affiliate link)

    1. 2

      That's an affiliate link ... Don't tell me IH is going to become like this :/ :/

      1. 2

        @ehben yes it is, but is it forbidden here? Maybe that's my fault, i should mention the name (now added) for people who do not like affiliate links like you. But it was not my first intention. I read that book, it works. Also i earned 0$ from Amazon since i was born...

        I think if it's a fair/logical/sincere advice, i don't mind if there is a affiliate link or not. You are still free not to but it with my link. Take it easy please. I like IH too.

    2. 1

      Nothing wrong to use affilate if you are providing value.

  9. 3

    This comment was deleted 7 years ago

    1. 2

      Ah! Thinking like a true indie hacker! 😀

  10. 15

    This comment was deleted 7 years ago

    1. 1

      I am happy to hear it is not just me! I will have to take some measures to keep it in control.

    2. 4

      This comment was deleted 7 years ago

      1. 4

        Or so I was told by my friends at the time!

        😉

      2. 1

        This comment was deleted 7 years ago