10
22 Comments

Ask IH: What Transactional email service do you use?

Hi,

What transactional email client services do you use use for you projects ?

Additional! how much are you paying for it ? Would you recommend it for a small project.

    1. 3

      Great API and something like 25,000 emails for free to start. They're hard to beat

      1. 1

        I'm looking at their pricing page right now and it says that free trial includes only 100 emails per month.

        https://postmarkapp.com/pricing

        1. 1

          Thanks for the suggesting! It looks great!

      2. 1

        And they’re bootstrapped! Love that company.

  1. 3

    Mailgun as well - using it for traditional transaction email (billing, registration, password resets) and also allowing customers to send emails and track them from https://soccercruit.com.

    Mailgun is free for sending up to 10,000 emails and it's pretty affordable after that. The way I look at it is if I am sending more than 10K emails a month, I definitely have a number of paying users, making it well worth it.

    1. 1

      also allowing customers to send emails

      how do tackle 'my user is a spammer' issue ? @colin_mcatee
      Does mailgun allows you to have some sort of IP reputation at "your final user" level ?

      Im looking for that :

      1. I buy mail engine
      2. allow my users to send emails from it so they dont have to think about it
      3. not downgrade myfinaluserA email deliverability if myfinaluserB is a spammer
      1. 1

        Hey @lv_universal_voucher I am going to have to figure out how to tackle the user being a spammer issue, I just know that you can. I am currently building the beta of my app and have not got to it yet.

        I am not sure about IP reputation but I am pretty sure it would be your reputation. Mailgun recommends you setup a cname with a different subdomain then your main site/app (ex: email.myapp.com) - here is some documentation on how they verify domains: https://documentation.mailgun.com/en/latest/quickstart-sending.html#verify-your-domain

        I am sorry I cannot be more helpful, I am not a Mailgun expert but I have had great experience getting everything setup so far and their logging is great.

        1. 1

          let me know if you find the solution to our issue @colin_mcatee.

          ping @startupdude @eelcoj @luisehk if any of you know how to take this issue !

          1. 1

            @lv_universal_voucher does your system allow your users to send to lists (e.g. multiple recipient broadcast) or is it intended for 1-to-1 / transactional scenarios? What kind of monthly volume are we talking about here?

            By default, Mailgun uses a shared IP. Here's an article that talks about the differences: https://help.mailgun.com/hc/en-us/articles/202453900-Do-I-need-a-dedicated-IP-address-

            1. 1

              does your system allow your users to send to lists (e.g. multiple recipient broadcast)

              Yes, that is the feature, @startupdude

              myfinaluserA sending messages to multiple hisfinalusers X Y Z by mail on broadcast mode. I've read your link. Im clearly under 50K / week, but it does not solve the issue (that i might think i have).
              Maybe i should just not care until its a real issue...

  2. 2

    Been using Mailgun for years. Love them.

  3. 2

    We are sending transactional emails and also notification emails which is the core feature of https://newreleases.io service with Mailgun. Pretty happy with the service.

    There was an issue that Hotmail blacklisted the shared IP from where emails were sent. Support set a different one very quickly.

  4. 2

    I use Mailgun. Simple APIs, easy to setup and manage. They give you 10K free emails per month, so as long as you stay under that limit, you pay ZERO.

    I wrote my own PHP wrapper class that handles pretty much everything that I need which means I can do whatever I want and not limited to "what the platform supports".

    Happy to answer any questions.

  5. 2

    Most popular seems to be Mailgun, followed by Sendgrid, Amazon SES and Postmark.

    I’ve been using solely Mailgun.

  6. 2

    We use a combination of Mandrill, sendgrid and PostMark. Sendgrid is decent but it does not have the same level of reporting/email logs that Mandrill provides. For example, in sendgrid, you cannot see the "email body" of a specific email that was sent when troubleshooting issues. Major Pain. Mandrill however is more strict in terms of requiring domain verification etc (which could be a good thing depending on your use case). PostMark is a very recent addition to our infrastructure so cannot quite comment yet but looks good so far.

  7. 1

    We use Amazon SES. 62,000 emails a month (if triggered from an EC2 instance) mean many businesses won't end up paying a penny.

  8. 1

    Mailjet. Great free plan.

  9. 1

    We use https://www.mailjet.com/ and paid 20$/month.

    But they have $ 0 FOREVER with 6,000 emails/month and 200 emails/day.

  10. 1

    This comment was deleted 6 years ago

  11. 1

    This comment was deleted 8 years ago