5
21 Comments

[Brainstorm Bootstrap] - Think Of 5 Startups

Don't leave until you write five! Creativity flows best when you treat it like a muscle and exercise it!

  1. Filmmakers Social Network
  2. Smartphone Luxury Wallets
  3. Temporary Sleeve Tattoos
  4. Baseball Hats with Handstitched Designs
  5. SpeakEasy (AirBnb-like platform for home bars)
  1. 2
    1. Kickstarter for startups where people pledge time and/or resources

    2. bid2_____.com I have about 50 of these domains. so people can start local service marketplaces and rent the domain/website for their area.

    3. speak2experts.com - have that domain for some kind of co-marketing website. looks like a magazine website with articles about tech, finance, home and garden. The content is created and local professionals share the content on social media but with their bio/contact info in the sponsored area. The cost for the content is shared among the pros.

    4. simple website builder that takes tags like %%Title%% and replaces it with Text(which could contain more tags).

    5. copyforkable.org - License for software and other digital assets where you pay monthly fee to have access to the assets but also have the right to modify them. And you get paid a % of all the monthly fees based on how much your version of the assets are used.

    1. 1
      1. Kickstarter has left a bad taste in my mouth IMHO after so many funded but undelivered products. I see it as a take the money and run platform.
      2. Interesting...any examples?
      3. I've seen a few of these. Am game changer would be 'on-demand' like click a button and instantly be connected to a plumber, lawyer, nurse, etc.
      4. Sounds like Markdown.
      5. Amazing this doesn't exist. A marketplace for up-and-running templates sounds like there would be a demand.
      1. 1
        1. maybe more of a groupon. People don't start actually working on it until there's enough common interest.

        2. bid2mow.com, bid2code.com

        3. I was thinking a button that showed up if you were available to take a call.

        4. I'll have to check it out.

        5. might be interesting in the code training/tutorial space too. but ,then 3d models, maybe dataset. Eventually to me it could become a giant digital asset blackhole. "Why consume your favorite entertainment when you can fork it".

  2. 2

    Love this thread! I think you might have some legal issues with the speakeasy, but i'd definitely be a customer :)

    1. Simplified software roadmaps / multi repo github organization
    2. Microbrewery management software
    3. Coding mentorship as a service
    4. App walkthroughs as a service / embed
    5. Website weight / statistics / performance tracker SaaS
    1. 1

      Re: the legal issues, isn't that what everyone said about Uber and Airbnb when they started? (Remember the days, 'what do you mean just get into a stranger's car/house - they're going to murder you!'). They are gypsy cabs and unlicensed residentially-zoned hotels. Only once they got big enough for anyone to care they could afford heavy-hitter lawyers :)

      1. 1

        Very good point. I'd love to see this become a thing!

      2. 1

        @austencam I checked out your bio and noticed your "code first, product fit later" for your startup ReplyPop.com.
        Product looks and functions like HotJar which there is a huge demand for (we use it at my office for instance). How are you finding beta users?

        1. 1

          Previously I was live streaming various bits of Laravel development and networking through twitter a little. I sort of lost some passion for it and haven't touched it in a couple months though.

  3. 2

    ClassPass for Foodies
    Mobile App to Book Paintless Dent Repairs on Cars
    Alarm Clock that Insults You if You Hit Snooze
    Newsletter That Emails Free Stuff Once a Day
    Mobile App to Ask Peers Whether or Not Something is Worth Buying

    1. 1

      Alarm Clock that Insults You if You Hit Snooze
      I've seen one, it's called Carrot on the app store :)

      1. 1

        Awesome, you could also charge $5 per snooze ;-)

    2. 1
      1. In NYC there' s an app called MealPal like that!
      2. Haha that is seriously amazing! Could be a mobile app!
      3. Is anything free?
      1. 1

        In CA, paintless dent repair is a huge business with guys just popping up left and right. I definitely want it to be a mobile app.

  4. 1
    1. Blockchain for land registry with push SMS notification when someone is trying to steal your land
    2. Amazon Go, but for class attendance in Campus
    3. Single profile app, instead of having to refill out profile details every time you register on a new app. A Gravatar for bios
    4. AirBnb, but for electric car charging stations when in a new city
    5. Machine learning app that screens elected leaders and determines how likely they're to engage in corrupt dealings or misappropriation of public funds
    1. 1
      1. I didn't know stealing land was a big issue. Can you shed some more light on this problem?
      2. Haha that will raise the ire of millions of college students.
      3. Yes! Would probably be a Chrome extension. I have autofill but it doesn't work a large percentage of the time. I HATE having to enter CC details everytime I'm on a new site!
      4. Candidate A - Corruption Score: 91. lol I wouldn't touch anything partisan with a 100 foot stick since either way you're going to be attacked by 50% of the population. Interested application of ML tho!
      1. 1

        Down here in Africa, land fraud is pretty much the order of the day!

  5. 1

    1- A series of “niche” restaurant brands in dense cities that operate only on Uber Eats, Deliveroo etc
    2 - Work with neighbours - a community where you can find other neighbours who work from home to work with, instead of paying for co-working spaces
    3 - on demand (over video) nutritionist/dietitian
    4 - we’ll designed, small and portable air-con (it’s getting hot in the UK and Europe)
    5 - online d2c brand for carpets (one high quality type of carpet, a few colour options, clear, all inclusive pricing, free samples delivered)

    1. 1
      1. I'm in NYC and we have a few of these. Seamless/GrubHub (same company now) have most restaurants. Then there's Postmates and Caviar for more high-end, you could say niche, spots. What do you think about an app that invites you into peoples' homes to eat a meal or get take out? 'HomeCook'. AirBnb for food?
      2. YES YES YES. I'd sign up right now if there was a link.
      3. Click of a button service for all kinds of experts. As a frequent user of Codementor I'd love to see this implemented in other fields.
      4. Production is one tough animal, especially something complex like an air conditioner. I'd save this one for when you're already a successful serial entrepreneur millionaire.
      5. I've never bought carpet by the sq/ft. Usually I just pick out something on Amazon when I need something for a floor.
  6. 1
    1. Anti todolist saas
    2. Accounting software review
    3. Chatbots review
    4. Github for writer
    5. Sales as a service
    1. 1
      1. Like things I won't do today? i.e. smoking, eating bad, etc.?
      2. How is this different from what's already on the market?
      3. How would you monetize?
      4. Version control for writers, that is interesting.
      5. Sort of like affiliate sales? But like 'get 50% of the sales price if you sell my product'? I like that a lot.
      1. 1
        1. No,but what you was completed today. Tracking your accomplishment
        2. I never see a deep personal review like https://www.sitebuilderreport.com
        3. Affiliate
        4. Yup,maybe writer need it
        5. Yes,maybe exclusive sales agreement