Rocket Note - YouTube Superpowers
Hey everyone! We made this Chrome extension that lets you take notes (and automatically timestamp them) on YouTube.
We decided that our basic model for the core users of our product would be similar to Dropbox or Google Drive. We limit the users to 50 notes before letting them know they need to upgrade to take more notes.
I'm afraid of introducing this pricing model to users, because I personally don't like to deal with products that force upgrades like this on users that love the basic product. It just makes so much sense for us. Is there a... loving way to introduce this to our customers?
On one hand, I totally sympathize with how you feel. It's scary to charge for things, and to your users out of the thing you built. But it's important to realize that simply charging for your product isn't the same as "forcing" things on your users in a bad way.
When I think of an overly forceful or pushy product, what comes to mind are barrages of popup modals, countdown timers, etc. In other words, products that can't get me to buy via the value they deliver, and so instead rely on obnoxious gimmicks. I don't think of products I love that simply have paywalls. Those are just fine.
My advice is to:
Thanks for the advice, Courtland! You're awesome for responding. :)
That definitely makes sense. I will try to be very straightforward with our paywall. And I love what you said about going back to the drawing board if our conversion rates are low. That is 100% what we need to do. Just test out what works and build a great product worth paying for.
Thanks again. It's much appreciated advice.
Dustin