6
23 Comments

How do you manage multiple email accounts

Hey guys
I am wondering if you have multiple projects, how do you manage multiple email accounts?

Do you need to create an account for each project which seems to get complicated at some point to check each account seperately or are their providers where you can have multiple email addresses for the same account?

  1. 4

    Fastmail is great for this. You can set up custom domains and they all come in to a single inbox. I have rules that route them to folders for my different projects. When you compose an email, you pick from which account you want to send. Works perfectly and all for about $50/year.

    1. 1

      Hi @BTBurke

      How is this feature called on Fastmail, I'm really interested in setting up my Emails this way.

      I will save $$$ on Google Apps, plus the added benefit of Fastmail security.

      Thanks

      1. 1

        It's their support for custom domains. Once you have an account, you go to the setup page and it walks you through how to set up DNS for your domain to point it at the Fastmail MX servers, and then how to add aliases for each email address you want.

        I think the limit is 50 domains and 500 email addresses for the $50/year account. Works great for me.

    2. 1

      I’ve exactly this too. I’ll add DNSimple to the mix, so it’s just a few clicks to be up and running.

  2. 3

    In general I try to minimize the number of email account but fi absolutely necessary (different companies) I forward all the accounts to one Gmail account, Gmail allow me to "send as" when composing new emails, and automatically reply from the email address I received the email from

  3. 3

    I'm using Yandex Mail. They offer free custom domain accounts. On mobile, you can use their official app and switch between the accounts. It is too easy to set up an account. https://domain.yandex.com

    1. 2

      Yandex mail <3
      Only problem is that their out-dated xml api :(

  4. 2

    Google Suite allows one to connect multiple domains to the same account, and then you can configure forwarding of everything to a single email.

    I had the same problem recently and was thinking about building a service for managing and reading mail of several accounts from the same place. But somehow gave up, given there were already very cheap (and also free) alternatives like Fastmail, Google Suite and Yandex Mail.

  5. 2

    I usually use Zoho Mail free plan to create an email account for each project and then configure them in Mailspring. Mailspring is a nice tool to manage multiple email accounts at one place.

    1. 1

      I’ve been doing this as well. Recently zoho requires a unique phone number for verification of a new account. Have you had this issue?

      1. 1

        Yes. You are right. Unique phone number is an issue now. They also disabled IMAP/POP3 support for free users which is very bad.

  6. 1

    I'm a big Help Scout fan as I run multiple businesses and have different people having different access to each mailbox. It's set up as mail forwarding so takes about 10 minutes to set up a new mailbox with a signature that auto-updates for each user.

    The Saved Replies (set up per stage in my sales process) & Workflows (so I can highlight a group of emails and do things like send them all a reply, add a tag & mark as closed, all in one go) also help. I also use the knowledge base product so I can quickly add helpful links to replies.

    If I close a project/inbox, I just copy all the archived emails across to one central mailbox so I can still search for them.

    Ok, enough Help Scout ❤

  7. 1

    I recommend something like Google or Fastmail maybe (havent tried them). I use protonmail but it only allows 1 domain and 5 addresses for the $5 month plan. Go with a big player instead of a cheap option because so many of the free/cheap providers will get your email sent to peoples spam inbox or not delivered at all for outlook users.

  8. 1

    I use various mailboxes based on the same initial config. It was a PITA to set up the first time but just small adjustments thereafter for each new domain.

    I keep an eye on them and others in mutt (very low resource mail client). Cost is a sunk cost in the VPS and the time it takes to set up.

    Next time I'd opt for something like mailinabox or similar.

  9. 1

    If you register your domain on Gandi, you get a free mailbox along with it which works great.

  10. 1

    This is what I do.

    I have one main website where I have my email setup with (Tealpod.com). And for every other site I say a product of Tealpod and give my email@Tealpod.

  11. 1

    I think ending up with lots of accounts is inevitable these days, particularly if you're working on a few projects.

    The two must have tools I use are 'Shift', which is like a window manager for Google Accounts (you can have a tonne of them logged in at the same time) and AirMail if you want a combined view of all of them.

  12. 1

    I usually just make email forwards to my personal account and reply from there!

  13. 1

    Why do u want multiple email addresses for a single inbox?

    1. 1

      I don't want to create an account for every email address

      1. 1

        Is it because you find filling a sign up form every time uninteresting?
        So you want to make signing up easier ?

        1. 1

          It's because I don't want to fill out the form each time, remember a lot of login credentials, switch accounts when I want to access the inboxes or hook it up to something like Thunderbird.

          It's just a lot of unnecessary steps that's why I wanted to know if people use some service where they have multiple email addresses for a single account

          1. 1

            It sounds like Google's GSuite would work well for you. I have one main email address, then a whole pile of aliases for each domain. So the mail@, support@, info@ etc.. all funnel into the same inbox. It's pretty slick.

  14. 1

    This comment was deleted 7 years ago