8
3 Comments

Ask IH: How do you improve your intuition for political dynamics?

Hi all- I'm not referring to Politics proper (like Democrats and Republicans).

I mean interpersonal politics, workplace politics, business partnership politics, investor politics etc.

When Travis K. was removed from Uber, I read an article where an investor said that Travis had the best understanding of political dynamics of anybody he ever met. Since then, I keep thinking, 'Right, that's important. I should devout some time to that.'

Anyone have any books, resources, frameworks, tactics they'd recommend?

Thanks!

  1. 1

    The single most useful thing I've found is to try to distance myself from my emotions concerning a situation and take a hard look at what people have been doing as opposed to what they've been saying. The next most useful thing has been fully engaging and paying attention when talking to people in a group where others are interacting.

    I'm no master at this, but the good news is that people almost always improve with age and making an effort really helps.

  2. 1

    This comment was deleted 8 years ago

  3. 2

    This comment was deleted 7 years ago

    1. 1

      In the same vein, another relevant book is, Power: Why Some Have It and Others Don't

      It's a realpolitik analysis of human behavior. I found it interesting.

      1. 1

        This comment was deleted 7 years ago

    2. 1

      Thanks so much!