1
1 Comment

Show IH: Okcode - Post your (git) issues as jobs for developers

okcode.io

Hello everyone. I'm excited to announce a new project I've been working on called Okcode. I came up with the idea after hiring someone to take care of a single issue I had on Github. I usually take care of most of them myself, but there are times when I'm just overwhelmed (or don't have the right knowledge/skills) and want to pay another dev to take care of it. I'm curious if anyone else runs into this and if posting github or gitlab or bitbucket issues as jobs is something you'd do. Please let me know if you have any questions!

  1. 1

    This comment was deleted 8 years ago

    1. 1

      Thanks Daniel. Here's what I've thought of so far regarding your questions:

      1. The structure for the issue-solver is going to be through the command line. Here's the vision:

      A. If you see a job you want to complete, click to "start" it. Job info includes title, description, issue #, tags (enhancement, bug, etc.), and additional info like language/framework and date opened.

      B. Once you click "start" it, Okcode adds you as an outside collaborator to the repo associated with the issue you're trying to solve. (This needs permission from the issue-poster to allow okcode to add outside collaborators on their behalf for the repo associated with the issue.)

      C. Commands are generated to pull the repo and to create a branch. Basically a "How to run..." set of commands for the issue-solver. I imagine this also containing any dependencies that need to be installed through npm or the like.

      D. Issue-solver runs the commands in terminal or their IDE, completes the task based on the description, and submits a pull request. (Might be through okcode or through a command. Need more feedback on this part.)

      E. Issue-poster is notified a pull request has been made and checks code for quality and bugs, etc.

      F. If the issue-poster is satisfied, they would merge the pull request. Funds are transferred to issue-solver (Still thinking about this one too. Maybe issue-poster has the option to guarantee the payout? Or, it goes into escrow, then it's released once they merge the pull request).

      G. Job is closed on pull request and everyone who clicked to solve the issue is removed as an outside collaborator.

      I think I addressed the first two questions above. Regarding the sensitive info, there could be an NDA agreement between both parties when someone starts a job if the issue-poster wants it.

      Ultimately, I want to make it super easy to both complete jobs as an issue-solver, but also make it easy for issue-posters to post issues as jobs, all with very little need to interact. Interaction is necessary of course, and can take place in the issue comments. (or elsewhere?)

      Let me know what you think and if you have any other thoughts or questions. Definitely looking for more feedback on this flow.