3
7 Comments

SEO revenue goals

Do you come up with goals for revenue attributed to SEO efforts? If so, what are your current goals or what were some examples of previous goals, and how did you come up with those goals? I can’t stand the “we’ll just have to see” approach.

  1. 1

    I recently build a plan to attempt to reach 1k monthly visitors on my blog site. I would like 1% of that to be a email subscriber. I’m just praying folks that read the content will like it enough to subscribe

    1. 1

      Sounds good. What’s the timeframe and how many monthly visitors are you currently getting?

      1. 2

        I'm giving myself a 6 month run rate. My blog site isn't new but I've only posted a handful of articles and not in a consistences basis. Currently I'm getting about 392 page views, 273 being unique visitors.

  2. 1

    To answer your first question: No.

    I try to set goals which I can actually directly control with my actions.

    I can’t stand the “we’ll just have to see” approach.

    Valid point.

    Maybe you can share some thoughts how you map / attribute single SEO actions to a x amount of visitors or even revenue?

    1. 1

      I try to set goals which I can actually directly control with my actions.

      Do you set overall revenue goals? If so, then wouldn’t SEO somehow factor in?

      Maybe you can share some thoughts how you map / attribute single SEO actions to a x amount of visitors or even revenue?

      I’m still working on SEO revenue goals, and am looking for guidance. It doesn’t have to be as granular as down to a single action. Just looking for general/broad strokes.

      1. 1

        Hey Jonathan,
        yes I set overall revenue goals. But it's not like I break it down to "SEO efforts" as a certain activity which needs to bring in x% more.

        I am only able to attribute a percentage of (non-smartphone-app) revenue to "organic traffic" - maybe that's what you meant by "SEO revenue"?

        My approach is more like this:

        • set overall revenue goal $x or +x% within next 6 months
        • split it down to the revenue streams: more direct sales of product X / more app customers / more visitors for ad revenue / more affiliate revenue / etc.)
        • think about which activities are most likely to have the biggest impact on each channel
        • do or delegate those activities in the order of biggest impact

        i.e. for the channel "+ x% affiliate revenue" the activities could be some of the below

        Non-SEO activities

        • include more relevant products into the content
        • highlight the bestselling products
        • etc.

        SEO activities

        • research and write promising new content
        • building backlinks via partnerships
        • press releases / interviews for backlinks
        • optimize onpage SEO and keywords

        In my opinion the crux is, that for all of the SEO activities I have no way to effectively forecast the effect on the bottom line revenue.

        I can use knowledge from the past. Like an article about X has Y visitors / month and is doing Z in revenue. So a similar article might have the same results...

        But. I could write a similar new article, build the same ammount of links for it, optimize it, etc. but in the end it does not rank good enough or is badly written or not relevant, it does not convert and no additional revenue happens for any other reason...

        So thats why I am having a hard time to directly attribute a specific revenue growth / goal to any SEO activity.

        What we CAN do instead - setting a measurable (!) goal of DOING things that have worked in the past: like writing a new similar promising content piece, getting x backlinks to it, doing whatever it takes to rank top10 and then wait to measure the actual revenue it generates.

        But with every one of those activites, considering you do them as good as you can, you have no control over what ammount of revenue will actually be generated.

        Sorry for the long reply!

        TLDR: No SEO activity can guarantee any fixed ammount of revenue - even if an identical thing worked in the past. But if I am wrong about that - I'd love to learn how to do it ;-)

        1. 1

          Thanks. Essentially I am thinking through ways to measure/plan ROI for SEO efforts.