16
15 Comments

Show IH: colorwise.io - Color inspiration for your next MVP

Hi, my name is André and me and some friends just created this tool to get color inspiration from Product Hunt trending products. We called it colorwise.io

The main goal is to help when you're starting a new project and need to choose a color palette. With this, you can get inspiration from products that are from the same category and are trending.

What do you guys think? Could it be useful for starting your next project?

Feedback is welcomed :)

  1. 5

    Oh man I really struggle with colors for websites, especially the right color combinations. If you could add SCSS files for Bootstrap themes of these, that would be great :)

    1. 2

      Hi Mubashar glad you liked it!
      This was created for makers like you. The bootstrap SCSS download is a feature we are definitely thinking of.
      Thanks for sharing. If you use it please share with us the results.
      André

  2. 2

    Very nice color pallets! I really love them. May I know how did you generate the sets? I usually go to dribbble.com and get the pallets from there.

    Thanks!

    1. 1

      I think they curated the colors manually from famous and greatly designed websites (as you see in details on every color pallets). André am I wrong ?

      1. 1

        They are curated with Product Hunts daily featured products

        1. 1

          awesome idea!

          1. 1

            Thanks :) happy you like it

  3. 1

    Really cool idea. Is this hand curated or do you have code to pull in the colors automatically?

    1. 1

      Is automated with Product Hunt api

  4. 1

    By the way we are on Product Hunt today. (https://www.producthunt.com/posts/colorwise-io) if you like our project please vote.
    Thanks
    André

  5. 1

    This is an awesome idea, and the color pallets look awesome!
    Great work!

    Just one hint: the website doesn't work on Firefox.

  6. 1

    André this is very cool.

    I'm interested in learning more about color for apps in so far as it improves the design and UX of my products.

    One thing I recently discovered is HSL color representations. So you can get the HSL version of a color and then modify the just the Hue to change the color. But the color will still "feel" like the original color.

    Do you know why? It would be cool if you could provide these palettes and then a simple dial to change the Hue of each color in the palette so that the "distance" between the colors in the palette remain the same but the Hue changes. Does that make sense? So if I like Facebook's palette but want my base color to be green instead of blue, I can just adjust one dial, the base color slides over to green, and all the accent colors adjust as well automatically in a sane way.

    Then like Mubashar said if you could have a feature that allows you to export a custom SCSS file to handle customizing the theme in bootstrap that would be amazing.

    Bootstrap also has a SCSS function called theme-color-interval. It's designed to create a color scale of gradations for each color. Like the gray scale ($gray-100, $gray-200, etc.) It would be amazing if your custom SCSS file generated also generates the scaled colors for each color in the palette.

    Lastly how do UX designers come up with a palette? Is it mathematical? Some content resources on color theory for people who don't care about color theory--but want beautiful looking apps--could be useful. Might be more useful to just make it easier to generate slick palettes and insert them into your app without having to think at all :)

    1. 2

      Hi Harry,
      Will look into your suggestions thanks a lot.