6
11 Comments

Ask IH: Persistent file storage solution ?

Hi,

What persistent file storage solution do you use ? I know Amazon s3 is the most widely used but are there any other solutions I can check out.

Side question ! Would you recommend using google drive as a file storage solution for user uploads ?

  1. 2

    DigitalOcean spaces is s3 compatible and also has built in CDN now. They are a great company as well.

      1. 1

        Thanks for the article I will read it now.

  2. 2

    Check out Cloudinary (affiliate link) – It is quite a popular service for storing user uploaded files.

    1. 1

      I've used Cloudinary for user uploads for several years. It's been easy to work with and has been quite reliable.

  3. 1

    I was using AWS S3, but didn't feel like using Cognito. Ended up going with Firebase Auth, then switched to Firebase Storage because they go really well together. In general, much happier with the experience of Firebase Auth/Storage over AWS Cognito/S3. Also set up Cloud Functions, which tie to Google Cloud Vision, in order to filter out offensive images on upload. I actually like AWS Lambda more for serverless though.

  4. 1

    User uploads: Amazon S3, DigitalOcean Spaces (and always backup your data)
    Backups: Backblaze B2

  5. 1

    This one is S3 compatible but 10-100x times cheaper (unlimited free bandwidth)
    https://wasabi.com

    But i would still recommend S3 directly for anything serious

  6. 1

    Google Drive could work. I'd say it depends on how often you'll access the file. If you try to use it as a CDN you will find it to be too slow, and you will be confronted to undocumented quotas. There is a helpful answer on stackoverflow.

    Bottom line, it doesn't scale :)

    For https://www.filerequest.eu/ I personally use Google Cloud Storage. It's equivalent to S3, maybe a little cheaper.

  7. 1

    You have Google Firebase as an alternative https://firebase.google.com/docs/storage/