3
10 Comments

From Sales to Programming - starting a journey

Hey all,

I'm here as someone who bootstrapped product based businesses in college, found my way into the SaaS Sales world, and is now a salesman by day and a programmer by night.

I know very little about what I'm doing but I'm doing it anyways - I took a React class and have barely passable React, JS, HTML, and CSS skills. Google is my best friend currently :)

I'm solving my own problem and open to sharing the ideas I work on - my first project revolves around sales. Breaking into one of the best companies in the space, I often forget the initial job search. So many scammy, misleading, and soul-crushing positions out there.

I'm making a dead simple site, a la RemoteOk, that pulls SaaS Sales Job data from sources I've come to trust. Of course the idea is to build an audience and then monetize it.

I'd love to share my progress and roadblocks on here, and I'm trying to not read too many other people's posts because I want my journey to not be unduly influenced by what the good hackers are doing :)

Right now I've got a vanilla React app that renders three elements. The job listing element pulls dummy data from a js file and is not rendering. Happy to talk more about it here, or you can see my tweetstorm just now on https://twitter.com/Ryan___Doyle

Glad to be here!

  1. 4

    Hey Ryan, nice to meet you!

    I'm a self-taught full stack developer. Learning programming is full of ups and downs, but thankfully there are more ups the longer you do it. :) React is a great place to start – it was one of my firsts, too. Happy to help out if you need any guidance.

    PS: I wrote a post on mindset for beginner programmers – this is how I learned so much so fast: zeph.co/programming

    1. 1

      Hey thank you Zeph! I appreciate this and will definitely read this this weekend :)

  2. 2

    I spent the past 6 years in real estate.... currently working a day job so that I can learn how to code in the evenings and weekends. Nice to know there are more folks out there doing the same. Looking forward to watching the progress.

    1. 1

      Thank you! I'll keep up with you too - let's get some daily effort going!

      1. 2

        I'm working a second job a couple of days a week and was just talking to my wife - who is an entrepreneur herself - about getting up a couple days a week early when I work in the evening to make sure that I can continue to make progress. So, trying to make consistent progress on my learning so that I can get to building. Goal is to start applying for dev jobs in a few months so that I can have time in the evening to work on my own stuff. Let's get this!

        1. 1

          Hey that's fantastic! Even if it's 10 minutes a day or one line of code, a rep is a rep right?

  3. 2

    Welcome, Ryan! I'm in the same realm as you right now. Marketer by day, programmer by night.

    I'm currently still in the early learning phase (a la Js codeacadamy classes and reverse engineering open source projects).

    What has been your approach to become a self-taught programmer?

    1. 1

      Thank you Zach! I think that's a great approach and certainly something I should do too.

      Way back when, a lot of my product based businesses required me to play with HTML or CSS when I was putting up wordpress sites. That was my "intro." I formalized it a bit more by doing CodeAcademy free and was lucky enough to have my job cover the $200 to take a real React course on there.

      Besides that, I think one of the most helpful things for me has been FreeCodeCamp!

      1. 1

        This comment was deleted 8 years ago

  4. 2

    This comment was deleted 8 years ago

    1. 1

      Good luck Malik! Hope we can talk through our progress soon!