2
2 Comments

Which of the below ways are best to monetize my side project?

DataBirds

HI folks, I've been in the data space for 12 yrs. Had this job board in data niche idea for a while but only inspired by @jasonleow and @vbordo recent posts.

I launched https://databirds.co this week.

I have a few ideas/doubts running through my mind. Please suggest which way is good to monetize?

  1. Is the current niche good to start (Data Science, Data visualization, Data analytics) or is it too broad and I further niche down to Data Visualization (my core area) alone?

  2. Should I keep this to one country (USA) specific or global?

  3. Should I pre-vet the candidates so it saves time and gets quality candidates to recruiters (Unique Value Proposition)?

  4. Should I sell it as a one-off $1000 lifetime unlimited jobs deal? or a $99 per job?

  5. Should I keep it completely free to post, but a small revenue from employer-sponsored banners or resume writing service for candidates?

  6. something else?

Please let me know your thoughts.

  1. 1

    Oh awesome! Glad you decided to just ship it. :)

    What's your tech stack? No code too? It looks great - clean, minimal and easy to read.

    I wouldn't pretend to know the answers to your questions. They are stuff that I'm also in process of figuring out. Some early thoughts I have:

    How narrow your niche and location of jobs depends on how much you know your target customers. I think it's always better to start with the users you know really well, then expand from there as more people use your product. I started with design+gov jobs, as that's the field I'm working in and most familiar with.

    Pre-vetting candidates sounds like the job board is moving into the work of recruiters and talent search agencies. It does take quite some work, and you need to work closely with the employer to understand the profiles they are looking for. For me, that feels like something of a later stage development (if ever), after I validated that there's a demand for the job board and engaged employers enough to understand if they need that.

    Packages is tricky. I like the simplicity and low barrier of a one-time fee for a job post for job boards as a starting point. Because employers often hire varied positions across the board, and only an occasional data viz guy perhaps. So to ask for lifetime package might not be what they really need. It makes more sense for more general job aggregators like Indeed/Ziprecruiter probably. For me, until employers start telling me otherwise, I'll stick with $99.

    I'm posting for free now at the start, so that I can grow the job board to look more substantial, get more traffic and people interested. In time, when there's enough traffic and captive audience, the fee will be worth paying for. But that said, your ad banners and resume services sound plausible too.

    1. 1

      Thanks @jasonleow your previous article was so inspiring thanks.
      I've used www.smartjobboard.com to build the website. Quick and 15 days free trial and $70 afterward.

      Thanks for your reply. I'm very close to Data visualization niche (Tableau, PowerBI, Qlik etc) they are enterprise analytical tools.

      Agree, pre-vetting seem to be a later stage thing which involves a lot of effort convincing both sides: employers and employees.

      Already spoke to 2 recruiters and next week set up 4 to 5 meetings with few more recruiters to understand what their pain points are, what they prefer to see in job board etc.

      I see what you mean Jason. Dataviz guys are not often hired as much as programmers. The only reason I thought of a lifetime once-off fee was to make it low cost for them and low effort for me not to find customers all the time. Let me wait for some time on the per job $99 fee.

      After a month or so If no one pays, I will make it completely free and try to monetise on sponsored employers and resume services or something along the lines.

      Are you currently posting jobs on your site manually or using any api/rss feeds to automatically pull matching jobs on a daily basis?