I’m building a client portal tool for agencies looking to keep their team and clients on the same page.
Link: http://clientroute.com
I’ve begun writing about my progress as I design, build and grow my business. I enjoy writing about it, and giving back to the IH community, but am wondering how will it help my business if my market isn’t geared toward developers/founders?
Is my time better spent writing content geared toward agencies/productized services owners?
Thanks!
Looks pretty cool! Here is the honest truth. Nobody cares about how you built it. They really don't care what it does or how it works. What they care about is what it can do "FOR THEM" What pains does it solve? What emotions they currently have that will be both eliminated and replaced by better emotions or feelings? This is what people ask themselves. Hope this helps. Was not intended to be mean it is just basic marketing concepts.
Thanks Wally, but I’d argue that. There are lots of founders that write about the design, development and strategy behind their products. For them, it’s about self-reflection and furthering their brand of genuinity. Jonnie’s Journal @ Cushion App is a great example of this.
I hear you. There is nothing wrong with any type of story that tells your brand. I based my comment on either/ or and I personally think that if you had to choose, (basically because of time) the results would be better explaining what problems you solve. I personally would be more inclined to take action if I understood how you help me. I would enjoy reading your journey and your path but it may or may not cause me to act. Any time you can explain who you are and why you exist is great. It does help a lot in brand. The main point is that I may not relate to your journey or struggles. (probably not me but some) I can always find time to listen to someone who explains how they can solve a problem. My point is if it was binary and one or the other, that would be my choice. I do appreciate your reply and understand exactly what you mean by it and do agree if you have the time and resources to do both!
Aren't a fair amount of agencies also interested in, or planning to launch a product business?
Thank you— and it’s true.. in fact, that’s exactly what I’m doing. I think you just helped me find the focus of my blog... 🙌🏽
Why not write both?!
Writing about the business / technical lessons learned is an important process. For me, it helps me clarify my own thinking. And that knowledge / wisdom gained can be applied back to make my product better. This ultimately helps my customers.
Writing content that is geared towards your target customer is equally important. It forces me to develop a deeper understanding of how my customers think of my product and the problems it solves for them (as well as the problems it does not). Similar to above, I gain insights when I write...and these get pumped right back into the experience of the product too.
Great points, Jonathan. And I can totally see it helping my efforts in clarifying my messaging. Thank you!