2
3 Comments

Is Sales software over done?

I’m constantly looking for something to work on that’s worthwhile (in terms of profitability) and that I can do along with full time job (I’m a software developer) but haven’t been successful. Lately I have been looking at Sales software. I think it’s already taken over by Salesforce and Hubspot, so I’m not sure there’s much scope here. But every now and then, I hear about services (Gmail extension, simple saas application etc.) that are built around sales pipeline and are doing fairly well.

So my question is: In your opinion, is Sales software an area that is worth looking at?

  1. 1

    What about picking one key feature and only doing that?

    If not that, the way I'd tackle it is as one-page sales software. Start without a login - get a UUIDed URL you can bookmark until you want an email/password as backup access. Try and build the simplest sales web-app that's still useful. "Get started in literally 1 second", etc.

  2. 1

    is Sales software an area that is worth looking at?

    You look at "sales software" as if it's a predefined set of possibilities.

    Sales is "to sell".

    What software can you build that helps people sell? What hasn't been figured out yet?

    And since sales strategies/opportunities depend on culture and society (one specific point in time, w/ the general mood/preferences/biases), there will always be opportunity to build new things - or even old things, but presented differently.

  3. 1

    I'll bet there's a niche somewhere in sales that's in need of solutions. But, just like me, I think you're falling into the trap of trying build something without finding an actual problem. If you're interested in writing sales software, find somewhere where you can see people talking about the apps they use, what their complaints are, and where you can contribute.

    You shouldn't care what my opinion is - I have no interest in paying for sales software any time soon, don't use any, and my opinion would be generic and could mislead you into thinking a market exists that doesn't :-)