8
11 Comments

Anyone else using Airtable or Google Sheets as a data platform for MVPs?

Just curious if I'm the only one taking this approach to minimize time spent in code. I started with MVC frameworks so WordPress is very confusing to me and it's easier for me to just let Airtable become my database.

For example, my site http://tinyfriendly.com is powered by this Airtable:

https://airtable.com/invite/l?inviteId=inviqYXAjqTpAm9MB&inviteToken=571bfb83f96229eb4052cc53a06ff71c99ea865e4deee3d4fb086d190d573d87

This way I can let Airtable create the forms, validation, etc. It also exposes an API for me to retrieve the data easily.

Are you using this method too or have a similar tool that reduces time with the low level building of an MVP?

  1. 2

    Knack is another great database SaaS, with more friendly pricing and customization features.

    1. 1

      Awesome! I have to talk to him about this. It's so interesting to see this type of site generator tool

  2. 2

    Yes, we are for nomadpledge.com

    We've literally only just introduced it today and we're currently syncing it with our Pilotfish.io site. We're certainly happy with it.

    We're not using it for anything exstensive (just collecting a small amount of data from people) so can't see a reason to build anything more.

    1. 1

      Awesome! Yea it's great for this purpose. It gives you more flexibility for your views without relying on TypeForm

  3. 2

    My website www.reactnrun.com is just a basic listing and I use google sheet as database and update manually from there.

  4. 2

    I don’t use airtable as a database but I do use it for internal planning and stuff

  5. 2

    I did it with sheets before. It's too slow. Easier to use Postgres and run a quick import from sheets if you have existing data

  6. 2

    I love Airtable and use in my work and but never tried their API, just explored the documentation. Your project looks good and inspires to dig deeper into the API.

  7. 1

    I've used google sheets before, but wasn't aware of Airtable! Although with services such as graph.cool I've just started doing everything there, it's also lightning fast and production ready if I pay for the production plan.