I'm a digital marketer based in Copenhagen (but will be working remotely from Cape Town as of next week!). I've had over 1m hits on my LinkedIn last year, have launched an online app to over 40k engaged users in 1 month, and many more success stories. My current project right now is launching a web design agency specialising in Webflow.
I'm happy to help any of you out if you have any questions! I'll do my best to answer!
Hey guys, I think something I learned from this is the value in writing an article on it. I'll try to put something together this weekend and get back to you. Some sort of guide on how to launch a Startup with low budget.
Hi Jonathan!
I'm about to lauch my first product here in Colombia (S. America). my product is a SaaS for small and medium size bars & restaurants. my goal is to make it easier for owners and managers the whole management process (inventory, sales, promos, etc).
I want to start a digital marketing campaign but I'm not quite sure what medium would be he right for my product (result and money wise). thanks in advance for your time!!
Hey Johnny!
Find something that you can offer for free that is low cost for you to produce and low commitment for them (email, name). Make sure it's something that specifically solves an issue your target market has. Not too general.
Promote that and then nurture people through educational emails, and if they're engaging with your emails, add them to a custom audience in Facebook which then gets hit with ads to a low-commitment action (trial, phone call, case study, email). Then up-sell to paid SaaS.
remember, once you have a larger customer base it'll be a lot easier to attract leads. You'll have a better understanding of your market positioning, hvae a good collection of emails to feed into FB for look-a-like audiences, and so on. It takes time.
I do IT for a dental clinic in the US as a family member. Any ideas on how to appear on the front page of google with very limited keywords that many other dental clinics are optimizing for? Thanks!
If you haven't done so already, the biggest quick win is to set up a Google My Business listing. Try to fill out every field that you can and and get your listing verified. This will help you appear in Google search and maps, and makes sure that the information Google presents to searchers such as opening times, contact telephone number, etc. is correct.
https://www.google.com/business/
I'm not Jonathan, but I built a site that stayed on the front page of Google for a single, extremely common word for several months with no prior ranking.
I found that (1) following Google's PageSpeed Insights recommendations and (2) accumulating high quality backlinks were the most important factors. Backlinks are basically everything. moz.com/learn/seo/backlinks
Hey Mark,
Nice work. Backlinks are a bit factor, and not poor quality ones. You need high quality, trustworthy links. Another factor is having a great user experience which corresponds to quick page loading, bounce rate, quality of content etc.
Any strategies or tips for how we can sell to/reach digital marketers? Our customers are people who make videos for social media, often times to promote a service or brand. Any websites, blogs, conferences, etc that you could point us to?
Some tips on marketing without any budget and little time? Thanks in advance
Do you think your product is media worthy? Can you create an angle on something topical that relates to your product? Is it awesome? IF you answered yes to these three questions, go crazy reaching out to media. Hustle it - and i mean handwrite letters to people, reach out to people on LinkedIn, email, all at once. Someone will eventually bite and you'll suddenly get a bunch of traffic.
Thanks for the tips,
"hustle it" sounds like the answer I expected.
I'm building findbetterquestions.com, a tool that helps you find high potential questions on Quora.
I started answering questions on Quora myself. How can I make my answers convert? It's hard if you don't have other content related to the question … Trying to sell directly from the first question is a bit too cold. Which steps would you suggest in between? How can I provide super low friction value without so much content?
Definitely an interesting piece of kit you got there. Need any beta testers? ;)
Don't sell from the first question. You're basically targeting marketers, and content marketers who want to generate exposure. So navigate towards their corner of Quora. Produce something that you can give away for free (in return for an email). Mention this in your posts. I know many people who would want your tool, so it's a matter of getting it infront of them (if you have some budget, Quora ads would be a good start as you could just target people asking about quora/content marketing). Create a long, vertical graphic using canva.com (free), and post it alongside your responses. It'll take up more real estate, getting more attention. Then set up a 5 step email funnel aiming to get people onto a trial. Then upsell.
Did you ever try the tool?
Thanks for your quick and practical responses
What a terrible landing page of mine. Redoing that will definitely be the next thing for me to do. You can already download the tool (14 day free trial, no beta anymore).
Thanks for the infographic tip. Also thanks for reassuring me that this is something people want.
I make screencasts for learners of the Elixir programming language.
So far, the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive and even though there's no accessible way to sign up for premium content on the site yet, eight people have emailed me asking to and then signed up for paid subscriptions this month.
However, the top of the funnel is a bit dry and the YouTube channel with my free content is growing more linearly than exponentially. Which of the following do you think would most help grow the YouTube channel?
I would focus on better thumbnails, and a new channel header for right now. Made a quick channel review video for you - https://youtu.be/yo4gOi65nOw
Hey, thanks! I really appreciate this!
I am a bit hesitant to put my face on the thumbnails due in an internet crazy who sent death threats to me after years of no contact once, but I could definitely hire someone on Fiverr or something to make some with the logo and text. Your guess was right. All the ones you saw were auto-generated by YouTube.
The header image should be even easier. Thanks again for the tips!
No problem!
Sorry about the internet crazy. Just the logo with text will really help your thumbnails pop.
Got thumbnails made for 35 (~ 1/3 of the videos)... definitely excited to see the results!
👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Hey!
Nice work!
I think emailing people will be lowest hanging fruit.
Don't branch into new topics - be the pro there and you'll build a following there. Focus on what you're already succeeding at.
Ask your audiences what your next videos should be about. Engage them. Perhaps set up a private FB group and interact with your followers there. It'll provide value to them and help you convert them later down the line. Tease the group on your videos.
Export a list of the existing email list into a custom audience in FB ads. Invest a percentage of your premium revenue into targeting 'lookalike' audiences of your existing group with ads for your videos. Experiment to see what works.
Definitely, have some knowledge of Youtube SEO. Look at how other top performing videos are set up, length etc. On a top performing video, you can find out what keywords they have optimised the video for by simply inspecting it on your browser. Mimic what they're doing. Then set up a twitter account, and tweet the video. Then set up a Facebook ad that's optimised for click-throughs, but the URL is the tweet you posted. That way, Youtube will think that your video is suddenly getting a lot of social media virality through organic sharing and engagement (it can see if it's paid traffic otherwise), and if your keywords are set up properly, and people watch your video (because it's quality material), you will out-rank your competitors.
These a just a few quick thoughts, but are relatively easy to set up
I'm pretty engaged with the audience and have been using surveys and email conversations to drive content.
That idea with fb ads to twitter is great, though! I'll definitely give it a shot. Thanks!
Nice trick with the YouTube ads
Hi Jonathan,
I'm pretty new to content marketing and SEO. I released our first blog post some time ago: https://petsnflats.com/blog/alternatives-to-cat-boarding
I currently use ahrefs to check our ranking (mostly still pretty bad) and keywords. My goal was to rank for "cat boarding", but that still doesn't turn up in the keyword list. Instead, there are keywords like "do cats get lonely" or "cats on vacation".
Do you have any hints on how to rank for the keywords I want?
it's a new site so will naturally take a while, so the key is to just continue to produce good content.
You need to establish some solid backlinking to your site. For such a new site, I'd focus on using guest posting and PR as a form of 'content marketing' first, and then once you have built up some traffic that way, you can start investing more in your own content.
That way, you'll make sure you're at least hitting people leveraging the authority of other sites first. I think given your industry, you could actually sweep up quite a bit of PR. I definitely see that going viral.
To be quite frank, I wouldn't recommend targeting those keywords just yet. You'll just get low-quality traffic that isn't actually interested in your product. At this early stage, you need to engage the right audiences first. It'd be far useful having 10 early adopters signing up through content marketing each month than 1000 people viewing articles just because they vaguely relate to cats.
Build a basic target persona and then build content around the specific problems she has, and make it long form (your current one is good, and nice use of table of contents). Also create some articles on medium that actually list keywords like 'how can i find someone to look after my cat while i'm on holiday' or 'where can i stay for free in return for looking after someone's dog'. Publish them on Medium (high domain authority, will rank fast, and the high quality prospects will likely click through to your website anyway). Also jump on Quora and make sure you've got a sizable real-estate portfolio on the questions posted there that relate to this topic.
One more thing about the keywords: In my research, I saw that the competition "cat boarding" or the German "Katzenpension" is quite low. There is a lot of like websites looking like from the 1990s ranking for those. Some of these don't even have a single backlink.
How do you see the chances ranking for these keywords if we get a couple of backlinks on our content?
I thought about the quality of traffic from these keywords as well but I guess that the buyers intent is already quite high. At least I didn't search for cat boarding just out of interest but because I was in need of that.
Thanks a lot Jonathan! What exactly do you mean by PR? Something like press and news coverage?
About medium: Cross-posting our blog content there would be sufficient for now I guess, right?
Be careful of cross posting. Google will see it as duplicate content and most likely penalise the post. There are some ways to get around this and requires tagging the content first. Just look up on Google best practices for cross promoting on Medium
Thanks. Afaik Mediums import function handles that.
I'm getting close to launching my SaaS in the next few weeks and I'm just now starting to shift focus from building to marketing and outreach.
What are the top 3 things (analytics, email lists, etc.) you recommend I have in place for launch that will prove valuable in the weeks / months following?
Focus on positioning and getting that right and make sure your story supports that.
Set up some sort of marketing automation, using software like autopilot.com and map out your user funnel. People are going to drop out and you want to make sure you can re-target these people. Content at the top, email capture through lead magnets, nurture via email, CTA to sign up. Use ads to support each step.
Don't worry about fancy HTML emails, plain text works fine.
Just make sure to collect email addresses for those who may not sign up right away. Either offer a free e-book, webinar, whatever. And don't advertise for direct signups. You'll lose your money straight away. It's a bit difficult to answer without knowing a little more about the SaaS and positioning.
Thanks for the advice Jonathan, I appreciate you taking the time to do this!
I haven't heard of AutoPilot before, but I have been working on getting my funnel set up in the first 30 days with education and event-based emails.
Curious - why no advertising for direct sign ups?
Thanks again!
Pretty sure he meant this link for Autopilot: https://www.autopilothq.com/
Yes!! Sorry. Thanks for correcting. I've made that mistake too many times
I'm a founder and developer. I'm learning about SEO and Digital Marketing. What is the 20% of both SEO and DM I can cover which will have 80% impact?
Focus on quality writing instead of quantity. Write 2-4k word posts and don't rush it. Include H2's that reflect keyword searches in the same semantic cluster / field of interest, and table of contents at the beginning of the article linking to each page heading. Tell people what to do as a next step, (i.e. sign up!!).
Focus on getting some backlinks to that article, and reach out to a whole bunch of other blogs and ask to do a guest post linking back to it. Answer a bunch of questions on Quora, linking back to it (will also generate very relevant traffic).
That's for SEO. For digital marketing generally, I'd say make sure you have a good marketing automation setup. I.e. identify each stage of the funnel, and aim to capture emails as early on as you can, using a lead magnet. Then optimise the funnel through emails, different types of ads, and so on. You could use Autopilot.com to start.
That way, your 20% encompasses traffic generation but also ensures your making it as easy as possible for the user to move through the funnel, and the low hanging fruits (warm prospects) are not falling off easily.
Hi Jonathan, could you expand a bit on ads part from "Then optimise the funnel through emails, different types of ads, and so on".
I'm new to this and curious what is your advice. Thanks!
Hi Jonathan, thanks for the great advice. Will surely follow.
just an edit - it's autopilothq.com :D
I've built a personal finance utility application for both iOS & Android. I have a small user base and would like to grow it. How do you propose I increase the number of engaged users on my mobile app? Thanks
I think for apps it's critical to find a way that users can engage with their friends/partners/families. While personal finance is individual, there are many overlaps with social finances, such as shared household costs, family expenses, travel expenses, planning, etc. etc. Perhaps leverage that as a way to encourage people to invite their friends to it.
Thanks Jonathan for your valuable comment. Definitely, finding a way to let users engage their friends & family would help in raising the userbase organically. Would try something !
Can I hear the story behind the 40k users in 1 month?
I'm launching an online game. I have limited resources financially. Growth is happening but it's slow. I'm wondering what your best tips are for increasing growth and engagement.
Sure. It's a way to drive engaged traffic and awareness to our core services. We looked at the market and saw a related product that people typically pay for. We build it and offered it for free. Originally we launched to email list, with around 10k signups. Then we gave people an incentive to refer friends, which boosted it up. Some PR came through with about 12k signups as a result of some crazy press in Taiwan (just happened randomly). The rest has come as a result of content marketing (we already have around 50k traffic/month to our blog, so this was the lead magnet).
It required some resources, though. If you're looking to increase growth and engagement, I think it's absolutely necessary to spend a few hours handwriting some letters to journalists at large magazines who typically write about your field. You never know.
I think it's also critical to install some sort of referral setup or platform to encourage people to invite friends. Make it as easy as possible for them to do so.
Cool, thank you!
1: Explosively viral content marketing, giving away a lot of value in each post and asking people to comment - meaning their followers are exposed to it.
2: A lot of new customers, enterprise leads, huge awareness for service.
3: no software? LinkedIn Pulse is LinkedIn's native article creation platform.
4: How someone uses videos? Aim to provide value in all posts on LinkedIn. Record yourself talking for 2-3 minutes at your specific target audience solving a problem they have. Encourage engagement and always include subtitles.
Was that you republishing from your blog onto linkedin or you made the articles for linkedin itself? Were you promoting it in linkedin groups and other places or were you letting LinkedIn do the work for you?
Made the articles on LinkedIn itself. Don't republish, it's not good practice. Was not promoting on LinkedIn groups, just let it do the work :)
This comment was deleted 6 years ago
A few comments: don't make two blogs. Keep it simple for yourself and stick to one blog, and that way the content of that blog will be stronger and can promote better. As soon as you make two blogs, you'll have to work twice as hard to building the domain authority. Better to stick to one.
THat's good regarding photography forums. And yes, definitely try to get featured on photography sites. Use clearbit (google it) as a Gmail extension to find the right people to email for an article or feature. Keep it personal (never copy paste a PR pitch).
I'd rephrase your tagline. Right now your tag line is focusing on the tool, not the outcome. What does the view enable? Confidence when presenting their photography? A personalised viewing experience? Figure that out, and then base your tagline (and rest of content) around that.
In other words, you're not selling the hammer or nail (tool), you're selling the ability to hang something on the wall.
Hope that helps!
This comment was deleted 6 years ago
This comment was deleted 6 years ago
This comment was deleted 7 years ago
This comment was deleted 7 years ago
Autopilot :)