I just launched a web app to sell artist crafted charity calendars for a children's hospital in Dublin Ireland. https://crumlincharitycalendar.com/
Just curious if anyone else is or has worked on charitable projects? & If they'd like to share?
I got pulled into it because my mum wanted me to do it for her. It was also an excuse for me to try out asp.net core 2.
Ps. Any feedback on the site is welcome, having said that, it is meant to be basic.
I don't really have any feedback for your site because everything works and it looks right for getting things done. The calendar itself looks good too. My only feedback is that your url is really long.
I'm not technically working on a non-profit project... but it feels like one: TheyMadeThat
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Nice fonts :) on they made that.
yeah I laughed at the URL..
but the ?client? wanted it.. I did say it was a mouthful..
good for you!
yes, i launched 12 Loops a couple years ago (http://12loops.com/).
we hang basketball nets -- 100% free -- at basketball courts in NYC.
there isn't much "tech" to it, but i did:
inside the website is a locations tab, which was fun to build:
this shows every location's "status" in real time... ie, if i hang another net, i flip a switch in the Google Sheet, and it changes color (black/orange).
we've done about 115 nets... probably booting up again Summer 2018.
Nice clean website, good job too
I think the most charity I give (not sure if it's charity actually...) is mentoring community college students. When going to do mock interviews, I often tell them to feel free to reach out and I can kinda "groom you". Some reach out and takes up enough time to be a part-time job.
Anyway, the site looks great! Charity work is the perfect time to experiment, it's a win on both sides.
Thanks for the feedback :) certainly building is learning when it comes to new frameworks. good stuff on giving advise, underrated in my opinion a lot of value can be had from it.
+i used ASP MVC CORE 2 to build https://curriculum-oark.azurewebsites.net/. i have not yet built a charity side project yet, but am will soon after https://curriculum-oark.azurewebsites.net/ is up and running...
Did the calendar exist already or were you involved in getting it made as well?
Are there many expenses in hosting or running the site? Do you cover those yourself?
Great work btw, I'm in Ireland as well and I'm really interested in hearing about charity efforts.
hey, my mum is one of the artists donating artwork... so she got me involved.
I used azure which is free for a month..
Unfortunetly it would be expensive if i kept it going on azure afterwards... i reckon i will have to move it to a IaaS like linode or digital ocean to avoid higher costs..like they are 5$ a month.. i avoided them to get the web app up quicker and to not have to spend as much time configuring it.
If I had a static site id have used netlify(free)...but i dont :P
Costs where minimal ssl & domain..(azure makes it awkward to use lets encrypt so i just bought a 9$ ssl cert).
I paid for the cert they paid for the domain.
My time was provided free.
This comment was deleted 4 years ago