November 6, 2018

Are you part of a mastermind group?

A mastermind group is community (usually exclusive, sometimes paid) of like minded people who provide each other support and advice around a certain topic (SEO, Entrepreneurship, Sales, etc.).

Curious whether any IndieHackers have joined one of these groups and if so what your experience has been.

Have you gotten your money/time's worth? Would you recommend your group to other IndieHackers?

1. 3

Yes and no.

I have many founders and investors who keep me on a monthly retainer. Right now there are three founders and two investors in that list. This is through a group made to discuss tech, design, and find new startups and talent.

I connect these founders and investors to talented designers (like @pedrocortes), engineers, and co-founders whom I've meet online or in-person based on their needs or services.

We usually lurk sites like Indie Hackers (and various other slack and discord servers) to spot people and products to invest in.

1. 1

Haha, thanks for the mention Dinesh :)

2. 3

I am in two groups like this and yes I feel they have been totally worth more than they cost (both are free) and I highly recommend them. Hit me up on Twitter if you want me to tell you, I don't want to spam IH.

1. 1

Last of the big spenders, I see!

3. 2

I've been part of one (found through https://mastermindjam.com/ when it was free!). It was very very useful. I had to take 2 runs at it.

No surprise, but the quality of the people in your group are the main thing. I got some great advice and gave some (hopefully!) good advice back.

It was AWESOME for accountability given I am an army of one.

If you can find a good one then definitely do it.

Simon

4. 2

I'm not in a mastermind although I'm doing something similar as I'm currently getting sales and SEO training from two different guys and I teach them my stuff around funnels and how they can scale/improve their business in return.

It's a win-win and it's been super helpful for all of us :)

5. 2

I've "run" one between a few buddies of mine for more than 2 years. We're on and off depending how busy everyone is but it's always valuable to get trusted friends to help see things from a different perspective.

6. 2

I started a mastermind group. It wasn't easy to find people to join (I invited people several times on IH), but we've got a good weekly tempo going. It's been useful for all of us.

We're all are building similar businesses—teaching people online via videos and using a freemium model.

7. 2

I started a thread about setting them up a month or so ago. I have a small list of people who are interested.

I haven't been in one before, but it sounds very rewarding so I went to IH first to try to start the process. But yes, free sounds like a great price to find people who want to grow together! :-)

Hoping to post about it again soon with some structure to help people, myself included, find a group.

8. 1

Unpopular opinion but I tend to find networking/support groups like this attract people who need them and not people that help them.

1. 2

Has that been your experience? I might actually be one of those people - a tech nerd trying to navigate the world of business :)

I've spent time reading about marketing, growing customer base, LEAN and lots of other topics, but I wouldn't say I'm good at it yet.