May 16, 2018

ASK IH: How do monetizing a large Instagram community? I suck at it :(

Hey, so I run an instagram page dedicated to Hummer owners (@hummermafia) and I would love some feedback and ideas on how to monetize it. To give yall some numbers it has about 44,000 followers and each post gets 1,500 to 3,000 likes and each story gets 4,000 to 5,000 views. Most of the followers are 18-24 year old males. So my problems is is that I have no idea how to make money from it. I would love it if I could have some sort of recurring revenue because I don't want to sell one off products like shirts, but I can't seem to think of anything. I've tried like an exclusive paid membership Slack group, but that completely flopped.I just got done reading Pieter levels book and I think the slack idea is worth revisiting or just asking them to support me on Patreon. I've made some Type form surveys to see what people's problems are and the most common ones are "gas is expensive" and "replacement parts are hard to come by (hummers aren't being made anymore). But I have no clue how to solve those! So if you have any ideas about monetization please feel free to let me know! :)

1. 3

How many of your followers actually own hummers vs just like looking at pictures of them? I'm guessing it's extremely weighted to the later and if so there isn't really a basis for a community there since there is no value add from communicating with the other fans(they can already see all the pictures for free on instagram).

You'd probably do well with paid posts though again target hummer related merchandise more than parts for example.

1. 1

I appreciate the feedback! I would say, just basing it off of the amount of DMs we get, I'd say a pretty good percentage of them actually own hummers. I was think of making the slack free for a while and if it explodes then charging a couple dollars a month. Then gradually increasing it over time.

How would I go about sourcing companies that would pay to be on the page? Thanks again.

1. 3

I guess if you can think of a good reason someone would pay for the slack then it's worth a try. Like are you going to brand it as a place to exchange parts?

How would I go about sourcing companies that would pay to be on the page?

Look for ecommerce sites that target hummer owners and off roaders and email them.

2. 2

I've seen a lot of influencers that partner up with other companies for advertising, contests, etc. You have a great niche, so you could contact hummer retailers for advertisement.

Also, why not t-shirts, stickers, etc? That sound like a way to establish your brand + generate revenue at the same time