September 21, 2018

Ask IH: What's your marketing stack?

Would you like to know what others are using? Do you like what your using?

What services to do you use for your marketing stack? Is your product Saas? Ecommerce? Services?

Drip campaign? chat? ads? email out reach? messeging service?

1. 23

Really interested to see responses here. My marketing stack consists of hyping myself up over and over again and then launching nothing, then wondering where I went wrong :)

1. 2

Hahaha half hilarious half brutal

2. 1

I focused on building lead gen websites, so I've gotten pretty good ad generating leads, but then I realize I don't like sales and don't really enjoy following up. So, I've wasted a lot of money on that.

1. 1

By wasted a lot of money on that, do you mean driving traffic to your lead gen websites? Or the money on creating them?

2. 4

RIght now (very early days) we (B2B SaaS) are using:

• Hubspot CRM (free)

• LemList (cold email outreach)

• Drip (email campaigns)

• Google Analytics

• Mixpanel

• Drift (livechat)

• Webinarjam

• Trello

• Calendly (demo booking)

• Facebook tracking pixel

You'll notice we don't really do any blogging/content production or social media yet. Otherwise, that's my standard go to marketing stack for a B2B SaaS company.

1. 2

Haven't come across Lemlist, and seems interesting. Can you explain a simple use case for it? Thoughts on it as a whole?

1. 2

Sorry for the late reply.

Well, Lemlist does some interesting stuff with images in emails, but the reason I use it is for the simple but powerful scheduling of mass cold-email campaigns (eg where you send a sequence of 8 emails to a potential lead, automatically stopping when the lead replies or books a demo). It's reasonably intelligent and flexible, but quick to set up and integrates with Zapier etc.

So far it's my favourite tool of this kind, slightly edging out woodpecker.co (which is slightly less powerful but doesn't only work with g-suite/gmail).

3. 2

• Landing Pages: HubSpot

• CRM: HubSpot

• LiveChat: HubSpot

• Marketing Automation: HubSpot

• Social Media Tracking: HubSpot

• Customer NPS Scoring: HubSpot

(See a trend here?)

By deciding on one platform its much easier to track everything in one set of tools. While it costs a bit more, the investment of having everything in one system pays for itself immensely.

We are now looking at using the HubSpot REST API to tap into their custom properties and activity feed / timeline. We plan to use it to build automated workflows as part of customer success.

ie: We are tracking "Last Logon" as a custom property in the Company record in the CRM. We will be setting up an automated workflow that when a paying customer hasn't logged in for 1 week to kick off a drip campaign to show the value of our products and give recommendations of things to check out if they haven't used it lately. If the customer hasn't logged in after 2 weeks, it creates a support ticket (we use HubSpot for that too) so we can follow up personally with the customer and see how they are doing. All in an effort to help them succeed, and help us protect churn risk.

YMMV. You can definitely do this with several different tools for a lot cheaper, but they don't all work together. When the chips are down, the time saved and effort required pays for itself... at least for me.

1. 2

Just to add to this, we also have our Blog on HubSpot.

All our marketing is focused on inbound marketing. We drop HubSpot tracking cookies as well as Facebook pixels on everything so we can track where everyone has been. Then we do ads using retargetting for Instagram (using the Facebook pixel) and LinkedIn ads targetting ideal customer personas (job titles, relevant LinkedIn group memberships etc) for demand generation.

So in the end it looks something like this:

• Some content on our blog or website compels them to visit us. In many cases its useful free content like checklists, whitepapers and free PowerShell scripts that help them get their jobs done. That drops a tracking cookie we can retarget to.

• We advertise to those customers. We use ad relevancy by having different tracking cookies represent different things they are interested in... so the ads are more 'useful' to them, depending on the medium.

• The ads point them to a landing page that lets us continue to track them. Especially useful when they have multiple devices. We use smartforms that progressively profiles the prospect, so we ask different questions for each piece of content which over times builds up the contact record. The form triggers marketing automation so they get other relevant information along with their download.

• When they download the content it usually includes further CTAs which drives them to more relevant content, but allows us to expand our understanding with lead scoring and profiling.

• Once the lead scoring in the CRM reaches a certain number, we setup a watcher for the next time they visit us. That opens up the LiveChat bot with them, and we try to have a conversation online with them. We know enough about them and know what their interest is by then.

It works quite well. And we think it will scale (although we won't know until we have product/market fit and enough demand to verify it)

YMMV. But I will never forget the formula one of my mentors gave me...

Perfect Marketing - Actual Marketing = Required Sales Effort.

Hence why we invest so much into doing this.

4. 2

That's a wonderful question. Everyone has a knack to know if he is doing right and if his toolset is correct especially in the marketing domain.

At Requestly (www.requestly.in), I am mostly writing documentation articles, release notes and some content marketing on

1. Medium (Documentation + New Features Introduction + Feature comparison with other products)

2. StackOverflow (Answering questions where Requestly could help and questions which are asked mentioning the term "Requestly")

3. Twitter (Following users who are web developers and trying to interact with them and sometimes they follow and figure out how can requestly makes their debugging world easy)

4. Reddit (I answer/help fellow redditors when they are stuck in some use case)

Hope it helps!!

5. 1

And full suite of all the SaaS tools we use with more detailed descriptions and use cases are here! The 27 SaaS tools we use to run WP Buffs

6. 1

I’m using autopilothq.com, crisp.chat, Mixpanel, … I can’t even list all the tools I’m using, but this is where I spend my time on

7. 1

This is a very small (only founder) B2B company, offering 3D printing services (prototyping, small runs...), Bitfab (https://bitfab.io).

We generate our leads with Google Adwords and organic Google searches.

Our lead generation and tracking stack:

• Wordpress for the blog and landing pages

• Typeform forms for converting the leads into quotations

• Pipedrive as our CRM

• Zapier as the glue behind everything

• Mailchimp for creating a mailing list from all the leads and sending very ocasional emails to them.

• Google Analytics for tracking all the process

Our content generation stack:

• Trello for keeping article ideas and scheduling the posts. Also for storing linkbuilding opportunities and guest posting/interviews opportunities.

• Keysearch.co for keyword analysis and research

• Twitter+Facebook+Linkedin+Google Plus for driving traffic to the articles in their first days.

I love to talk about this stuff, I actually made a video describing our complete funnel with all the tools we use. Sorry it is in Spanish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rna0c6DQ_Qo

8. 1

At https://simplebackups.io we use below stack:

• Intercom (for a few weeks now and I love it): chat, contacting customers

• Drip: automated email sequences

• Google Analytics: Analytics

• Heap Analytics: Analytics

• Facebook, Medium, Twitter: content

• Trello: task management

• Calendly: demo booking

9. 1

For https://trolley.link - which has only launched today really - I'm using HubSpot, GA, Trello and a whole load of elbow grease!

10. 1

For our b2b startup, we use:

• Hubspot (CRM)

• Intercom (live chat)

• Mixpanel (analytics)

• Google Analytics

• Google Optimize (a/b testing)

• Canva (design)

• Mad Mimi (email campaigns)

1. 2

I'm also using Intercom and I have to say I love it ! I was wondering if there was not an overlap with Hubspot which I'm not a user of. Can you tell me if some things offered by Intercom cannot be handled through Hubspot and for which purpose you use each?

11. 1

Blogging & social media marketing

12. 1

Great question! I would love to know how people go from 0 to 10 and then beyond.

13. 1

Emails and connections. Referrals and then more emails. Talk to my users, understand who they are, go out, find people like them, email them. Rinse and repeat.

1. 1

In the beginning I would imagine it's hustling for your first users to iron out your product market fit. Then it's a case of scaling that out?

1. 1

Yeah, in my case, just general outreach with potential influencers led to a lot of free content marketing that I didn't have to do myself. I was added to email lists, blog posts, etc. It does take a while to find those people, but it's definitely worth it even if you strike 1/20 chords.

1. 1

cool thanks!

14. 1

Quora (incredible conversion rates), hanging out in Reddit subs related to my product (productivity) and building a Chrome extension have been the most successful funnels for me - it's a B2C app.

There's a much higher level of intent at these places vs trying to steal attention from somebody scrolling through Twitter/FB.

1. 1

Could you please expand on how you are using Quora to get those high conversion rates?

1. 2

On Quora you can place ads beside questions like 'what's the best app for X?'. If you're in the market for X, you just gotta make sure your ad appears among these questions and your copy is good enough to earn a click.

15. 1

Right now for me, I'm using social media posts to grow the community but as soon as I launch on October 21st, I'm going to run ads on Instagram first. I'll likely run some ads on FB

My product is a B2C app.