December 5, 2018

How Alex Birkett grew ConversionXL’s blog to 3 million visits per year

Hey IH Fam 👋

I just had an amazing ✨ interview with Alex Birkett, the Senior Growth Leader at HubSpot.

It’s a super in-depth chat where we talk all about:

• Alex’s early career and personal growth

• How he grew ConversionXL’s blog to 3 million visits per year

• Marketing and conversion rate optimization strategies

• Sources of inspiration and tips on relaxation

• Lifehacks

It’s a great read and has got some FASCINATING insights.

Would love the your feedback!

Check it out here 👉 https://www.uplead.com/alex-birkett-interview/

1. 4

It made me feel to dirty to actually click on something so click-baity, but yes I was curious.

Here's a tl;dr

--------

Publish frequently (they give an example of 4 or 5 times a week)

Have high standards: what you write should be the definitive source and readers shouldn't need to go elsewhere. Publish "manuals" not content i.e. do your research. Engage with comments.

Organize your promotional work: keep a check list of all social media channels and influencers, etc. to share with.

Network constantly and bring in guest posters.

Take outside advice with a grain of salt because there's no one-size-fits-all solution.

Experiment with different methods; document your ideas and results.

2. 2

Nice read. I don't want to overshadow the merits by saying this but the title and the article sound a bit arrogant. I don't really like it when people say "how X did it" especially if he's not the founder. Clearly, he played a detrimental role but there are so many moving parts that influence the growth of a blog. It's not like the guy came in and raised the company from the ground up. ConversionXL and Peep Laja are major brands in the CRO universe. I've never felt comfortable making this kind of statements, regardless of my role and importance in projects.

1. 1

Mihai - I agree with you about the title. Alex did play a major role growing the blog from 125k visits a month to 250k visits a month within his first year working at ConversionXL and I felt like the takeaways from that do have a lot of value. Glad you enjoyed it!

3. 1

great interview!

4. 1

(sorry for being rude a bit)

The marketing blogs themselves need marketing. So interviews like this seem like they are marketing for the blog. I'd rather not see them here

My 2c

1. 1

We built UpLead Growth Chats to be purely value givers, we spend resources in reaching people that have grew successful companies and give our audience their deep insights on growth, all 100% free. You don't need to subscribe to our blog or service to get value here. I agree that in turn this does put UpLead as a thought leader in the category, but it's not something that's profitable for us. I think if your an entrepreneur looking to grow your business it's a must read!

5. 1

So excited!

6. 1

Great one dude!

7. 1

Like it! Thanks!