December 4, 2018

How can I make the #landing-page-feedback tag better?

I'm working on creating a dedicated place where all of you can go to get feedback on your landing pages, both from each other and from experts I convince to pop in every once in a while.

Right now, the MVP for this is simply making posts using the #landing-page-feedback hashtag. I'd like to improve it over time and turn it into the best place on the internet to get good design/copywriting/conversion/etc advice on your website. (I also plan to add other similar tools alongside this that will help indie hackers solve various problems.)

There are several challenges to overcome, of course. For example, how do I ensure there's a good ratio of submissions vs feedback? What kinds of UI changes would be helpful?

Any thoughts or ideas?

1. 5

I think one obvious area of separation is design elements versus copywriting.

I tend to weigh in on the copywriting side. Others, I notice, go for the graphical / scaleable elements.

Similarly, an obvious "sticky topic" is an agreed definition of what a landing page is, what its function is and how to divide it up into different areas depending on the messages people want to share.

Something I see a lot from developers is a need to explain "how I did it" to potential customers. I often find myself (as others do too) explaining for the umpty-ninth time that nobody gives a monkey's cuss what brilliant tech stack you used; how you deployed the very latest fads and gizmos or the sixteen step process your script goes through to produce the magic. Developers think that their visitors are all petrolheads and fail to appreciate that they - the developers - are actually car salesmen who should be approaching the female in any couple and selling dreams to her rather than the mechanical gubbins to the man.

Having something which made the purpose, design elements, copywriting and objectives of landing pages crystal clear would be an immense help to a lot of people I think.

Which means that, whatever design you come up with, the area must:

1. Contain the most common tips / advice / tutorials

2. Be split into component parts for more in-depth content re. specific parts of the landing page

3. Allow for questions as at present.

1. 2

I really like the idea of mixing some tips/content into the tool, so it's not 100% reliant on live feedback.

1. 1

Have an upvote!

2. 3

A redpen.io kind of approach for people commenting on specific bits of the landing with markers and comments on each marker

3. 2

Candidly, what I appreciated most about receiving IH's landing page feedback was the large number of eyeballs representing a large number of opinions.

I'm concerned that given the new layout, requests for landing page reviews will be hidden behind a hashtag. What's your game plan to ensure each request has visibility?

It could be interesting to feature one landing page request per day; then assign a IH, who has volunteered to be part of a pool of reviewers, to do a breakdown, that can then be categorized and referenced for future Hackers that are in the space.

This wouldn't prevent other folks from jumping in and giving their critiques, but it would ensure that each person requesting feedback would have a least one qualitative review.

1. 2

Yep, visibility is a big goal. Currently the way things work on the forum is that most people don't get any responses, but some people get lots of responses, and their threads stay on the homepage and accumulate even more responses. In my opinion, the ideal state would be as many people as possible getting something like 3-4 quality responses.

Part of my plan is to recruit experts to regularly come by and leave feedback. I can also use the homepage and the newsletter to explicitly request that people visit the feed. Besides that, I'll have to get creative.

For example, I could do something Product Hunt-esque and stack rank the submissions each day. But I'm not a huge fan of that, because it rewards the winners and punishes the losers too much, instead of ensuring a relatively equal distribution of feedback.

I could do some sort of block preventing people from making submissions unless they've given enough feedback in the past, but I'm not jazzed about forcing people's hand that way. It makes the bar too high for posting, but I want posting to be easy.

Another idea would be to only display X posts at a time. Whether that's 5 or 10 or 20, who knows. Then when any post gets more than a few responses, I kick it out and open a slot for a new post. That way every post is guaranteed to eventually get responses, and the burden is on the community as a whole to give feedback to free up new slots for posts. But then the downside is still the same: most of the time there won't be any open slots, so people who come to post will find themselves unable to, which sucks.

Hmmm… 🤔

1. 1

Of all the options above, definitely prefer the last. How many requests for landing page reviews are there per day? At most five? That seems reasonable to accommodate. And if daily maximum is exceeded from time to time, folks could still post, but be required to "take a number" and queue up. I

However, I am concerned about ensuring x number of reviews are qualitative. I received about 30 - 40 responses for my landing page and I'd say only 8 were of substance.

And I'm still curious how you'll ensure folk click on the hashtag "landing-page-feedback" regularly.

2. 1

Wow! This is serious! Not a single [laughing] or [smiling] in the whole post!

Good points though.

4. 2

I really like what @thomasm1964 and @Bsme said.

Also, an important thing to note is that all landing pages should have one goal, so people who post should always explain what that goal is. What action do they want the reader to take after they read the page?

Makers often forget to mention what their goal is or they ask the wrong questions at their stage of building the product (not their fault). That leads to lost opportunity for improving the landing page.

So copywriting, design, and UX sections for different experts would be awesome with commenters explaining who they are (are they another maker, copywriter, designer, etc?), because while feedback is great from anyone when you're starting out, feedback about why users aren't signing up to try your product can be vastly different from another maker vs. a copywriter.

Overall, it's really cool what you're doing @csallen and I'm sad I missed ya in Toronto D':

5. 2

Hi @csallen, I can help in making this great!

1. Create reviews section just like Interviews but let it have the ability to add screenshots and I will personally be helping to review daily until you get enough traction

2. The reviews section can have copywriters and designers all engaged.

3. You can add jobs section too for freelancers to get hired on

4. Marketplace too!

1. 1

Thanks for helping out!

I like the idea of having a jobs section for freelancers, that's interesting. What did you mean by a marketplace? Any thoughts on getting copywriters and designers to want to help out?

1. 1

Goodmorning @csallen Run a contest and the best designs win something, that will really bring new sign-ups and I recommend you target landing page illustrations. For the marketplace, I meant you can add a section for freelancers to sales stuff like illustrations, designs, landing pages and other services. I understand you already have stripe as a payment processor so that will be much easier

6. 2

I think it would be great if it’s more categorized. For example sectioned off to the target audience someone how. For example as. developer I would be interested in seeing upcoming products that are tools for me - and at the same time can give feedback for the landing page as customer point of you( how I understood it etc).

From someone looking for feedback I think the customer will be very valuable and the expert critique is icing on the cake.

7. 1

Would it possible to have a tool that scans submissions and gives back various facts and figures: page speed, page size, meta tags, H1's, H2's H3's, and various checklists like Google PageSpeed Insights, HTTPS check, robots.txt, and whatever is supposed to be an important metric? Is this what you meant by a tool?

8. 1

Create a google doc with read only rights that lists website, and more information

A form that sends you an email of the website with some questions about it from users

A post on indiehackers for each website. Then add that to google docs.

That would do for the MVP, if you get demand you can build a web app that does all of that.