September 13, 2018

How did you come up with your company name?

There are some pretty crazy stories out there, but for us it was pretty simple.

It was supposed to be "Parlar " (translating as 'to speak'). I thought it'd be a good idea for a customer service company

But it sounds kind of weird in English, so I went with Palar

What about you folks?

1. 2

This is a long story... 😁

My company/product is about education. Online learning, to be precise.

I wanted an abstract name that didn't restrict me to a single product idea, as that often won't survive pivots.

I also wanted a name that one could easily spell after hearing it for the first time. That typically means choosing an actual word out of the dictionary but since every single-word domain is taken, I deciced to prefix it with a colour. And since my product is a digital product, I chose the colour that best describes "digital" — Blue.

I think I played with quite a few words but I was looking for something that denotes forward movement and speed. I can't remember exactly why. Maybe it was because I believe Education is what pushes us forward. Anyway, the word that came to mind was Dash.

And that's how the name BlueDash was born 😁

At this point, I liked the name but not in love with it.

What really made it stick for me was the realisation that the letters at the intersection of those two words Blue and Dash spell out "ED" — short for Education. I actually only noticed this when I was messing around with the logo concept on paper.

So, that's the story with the name BlueDash.

2. 2

For me it’s the same name as my art style: PaintedReality https://paintedreality.io

:)

3. 2

If it's a digital product I look for a name that:

1 - Can be easily searched for on a mobile device. It needs to be a name that is less than 10 characters.

2 - If you say the name verbally someone would know how to instinctively spell it. As I'm an American I choose names that an English speaker would easily understand.

3 - It's all I got! Shameless plug that's how I decided to name my project, BrainAB http://brainab.com/write.html

4. 2

Mine's simply a joke. I set out to build a space where internet strangers could make comic strips together, and I knew that I didn't want anything too serious for the name, so... StripTogether

1. 2

Your name functions as an interrupt to whatever train of thought readers had in their heads, and that's a huge win for you!

1. 1

Thanks - precisely the idea. Just confusing enough to stick in their heads ;)

2. 2

It's a really good pun - a thought for a second it was NSFW haha

5. 1

First came the noun, then the domain.

I had a product idea and related domain sendtouch.com. In my design docs, a "touchgram" was a noun describing what we sent. I made it up as a result of doing a lot of comms work and flinging the word datagram around a lot - a packet of data dominated by touches was obviously a touchgram.

Then GoDaddy advertised that they could now supply .am domains and I had to jump on board and register touchgr.am. I've always loved playing with words and domain name hacks.

When, a few months later, I went into the Founder Institute and had to register a new business, Touchgram Pty Ltd was born. It took a few months to pick up the rest of the relevant domains.

6. 1

Being my very first company, I wanted a more romantic name that shows how much passion I have for this industry. My picked options were meraki (this is a word that modern Greeks often use to describe doing something with soul, creativity, or love — when you put “something of yourself” into what you're doing, whatever it may be) and Ikigai (this is a japanese word that is essentially about finding your purpose in life).

Although not an original name and there are a few businesses named in this same way, I picked <a href="https://merakidesigns.co/">MerakiDesigns</a>, because for the last four years I've been spending my summers in Greece and I also find that people understand the word more easily.

7. 1

Emojics = emoji + analytiCS https://www.emojics.com/ 😀😀😀

8. 1

We're building an API-first e-commerce platform which is kinda new so we went with novi (=new) store.

Plus we managed to get https://novi.store ;)

9. 1

Pro tip: if you come up with a random name, check for it first in the https://www.urbandictionary.com/

10. 1

I posted a comment on IH a while back (link https://www.indiehackers.com/forum/lets-talk-domains-share-tips-tricks-and-anything-related-44e674d7d6) with my techniques for coming up with available domain names (which when naming a product/app is often the determining factor for me).

Translations is a part of it, but I also search using synonyms, and then append/prepend common words. So, of course, I built a quick tool to do it for me. Abandoned it a little bit but very open to feedback (not great on mobile):

http://domaingenerator.chrisdermody.com/

11. 1

We wanted something more simple that rolled off the tongue. We're focused on finding opinions and feedback for businesses so we played around with words until we combined 'your' and 'thought' into one word = yought!

Hence www.yought.com was made :)

12. 1

I'm creating a Duolingo but for math. I wanted to convey the idea of pleasant but effortful progress.

BrightHike.com was available, so I went with that :-D.

13. 1

I aimed for a descriptive name (instead of a quality word to build into a brand) in order to get the SEO juice up front. I checked on domain availability for a few name concepts and ended up negotiating with a domain flipper to buy HostedMetrics.com, which I'm very happy about!

The risk is that someone out-SEOs me, but I'm not looking to dominate any market and given that this is a B2B SaaS, I can get enough customers down the road through cold-emailing, ads, and through whatever my SEO will look like at that point.

As a bootstrapper, improving the odds for the first part of the journey is much more important than doing the right thing from the point of view of a successful business that's been in operation for three years or such. Early wins are crucial for motivation!

As for the corporate name, I came up with a generic term that shows I'm doing software but doesn't tie me to anything in particular and doesn't sound stupid either. "Numerical Software LLC" hints at data/analytics/reporting/metrics but is still very generic. I won't be embarrassed by it down the road. Funny enough, I registered it late at night when I was tired and mistyped it as "Softare", so that took a $85 change fee to fix! Facepalm!

1. 1

It's definetely a sticky name! I remembered your first customer story the moment I read it.

14. 1

The struggle with English words is real. I think Spanish and Japanese (partially because of my love of Japan and Latin America) words can be useful. Japanese is generally pretty easy to pronounce, and Spanish has a lot of words that relate closely to English.

Sadly, brisa.app (Breeze in Spanish) was available and I held out for a couple weeks and it was taken. Went with Brisa Boards for my oss project. Kind of beating myself up over not registering when I had the chance! I also like it because, while it means breeze, it can also be a name, which is kind of fitting for data organization.

1. 1

I agree! Words with Latin roots are also usually one of the easiest for universal pronunciation. I tried to avoid English words because I had the EU market in my mind and I'd already met a lot of foreigners that could never pronounce Facebook, Snapchat, and most social media services.

15. 1

Our name Poodll was one of the best things we ever did. It was dumb luck, and not given much thought to be honest. Because at that stage we had no real goals. But it really set us apart because it became a brand. And the benefits of that long term, far outweigh the SEO friendly names.

16. 1

Oh, man. I just went through hell trying to come up with my latest project's name.

Here were my "must includes"

• either the .com or .io available

• social handles available or close to it

• less than 3 syllables

• easy to pronounce

• when you said it, people would know how to spell it when they went to Google it

• had some double or deeper meaning

We eventually landed on: PostPilot

1. 1

PostPilot a really good name - I like it!

1. 1

Much appreciated! It really captures our product well. Alliteration usually sounds good too. 😁

17. 1

My website is about unlimited design work. I thought the word Pixel could represent design work well, and many as in that you can get a lot of work done. Then Manypixels was born which is quite a catchy word!

We also refer to our designers as "Pixelians" and our office/training centre as "Pixel Campus" :D

1. 2

I love the idea of Pixelians - it sounds so smooth...

May be just luck, but I found out Palarians is an actual reference for some Star Wars aliens that revolted against tyrannical corporations haha

2. 1

This comment was deleted 2 months ago.

18. 1

My "parent" company which I use for my projects is called Depomo which comes from Deposit of motivation 🤓

19. 1

Since our application creates videos that look a record spinning, I decided on the single word Turn and the domain turn.audio just so happened to be available. I also like the following phrases:

"Turn your audio into videos"

"Turn audio on"

"Turn fans onto your music"

"Turn on"

😉

1. 1

Lee, I just sent you a message via Intercom

20. 1

I'm a fan of two word names like Generous Work & Software Trainers and generally use Lean Domain Search to find the best fit.

21. 1

This comment was deleted 2 months ago.