August 9, 2018

How do you keep track of accomplishments at work?

Hey guys!

First post here, 🎉! Long story short, I work at a large F500 company and I hate performance review season.

It's a complete time suck and I always forget the small wins. As a manager, it's also impossible to keep track of everyone's feedback throughout the year.

So I started building Handily, an app to help me and my team remember accomplishments and give feedback in real time.

My question is-- does anyone else have this problem? Would you use a tool like Handily?

1. 1

I too work at a F500 company and if there is something I've learned from working at 3 F100 companies. Is that they LOVE LOVE LOVE excel. Might want to have an export function

1. 1

🤦🏼‍♂️ so true. Sadly we even have people building "apps" on top of excel macros...

2. 1

I think this is a solid idea. I most certainly think you can get enough teams on board to make great money with this. Good work.

3. 1

I typically keep a txt file that I write to with everything I consider positive movement. I wrote about it here. Basically its a command that opens a text file on my command line so I never lose my flow. https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=17538697

On another note, How you get these cool simple ui screenshots? Is this Sketch?

1. 2

Actually came across your article a couple weeks ago! I was trying migrate from Evernote to a more simple, terminal based tool. Small world

Yup, designed the UI in Sketch, using a custom version of Atomize. It's like Bootstrap for Sketch. Link - http://atomizedesign.com

1. 1

thanks for the recs.

It feels like your project would appeal to managers like yourself and maybe, that requires specific copy that targets them - your copy seems to target the actual individual contributor.

If you look at https://www.reflektive.com/ they mention "Build a culture of feedback" and https://www.15five.com/ mentions most quickly "Unlock the Potential of Your Entire Workforce". The benefits are clearly manager and company focused.

Obviously your product is different but I would venture to try a copy that highlights your specific goals "Harness a culture of celebration", "Always celebrate the small wins". You can play around with how this appeals to yourself because ultimately, it may be a manager making the purchase decision and they'll need the talking points to sell this to their team.

1. 1

You are spot on. My biggest challenge for the MVP is figuring out which users to target -- individuals, managers or the entire HR department.

My current plan is to start off small, with basic features targeting individual users for MVP. Then build more elaborate features for teams + company in subsequent releases

1. 1

totally. being focused is the only way to work. if you build an ability to curl POST my did.txt file or just allow for a single line value post request, im 100% there.

4. 1

Hi,

I am also a manager in a F500 company and I would say I have experienced this problem before. (BTW, I am a Product Manager, not a developer if that makes any difference.)

Would I use Handily? Your site looks great, beautiful graphics, I immediately have a sense of how to use the tool. However, a few ideas do come to mind that you could consider...

1. At the end of the year, I usually end up scrolling through the year's email to find all the compliments for work well done. Wonder if there is a way that someone could 'mark' an email in Outlook or something and then have it integrate directly into Handily? That would definitely save me time.

2. I do think the UI looks great, but I would personally gravitate to something even more basic. I don't need any more apps. I have too many already. Maybe something like the simplest of post-it notes or some quick note taking app.

Anyway, hope this is helpful to you in some way.

-Pmox2018