February 4, 2019

How I’ve Grown a No-frills Service to $4,000/Mo in Revenue

1. 2

Just curious, is it just you and the independent contractor working on SolidGigs?

1. 1

Hey, @jhampac. At the time of writing, yes. Me and one other contractor. But in order to ramp up for this year, I've added a paid acquisition person as a test and brought on one of my other contractors for my blog to do a few things. Why do you ask?

1. 2

Just asking. I always find it quite amazing how such small teams are building great things.

2. 1

The problem with this type of service (correct me if I'm wrong) is that each subscriber will see the same freelance gigs, will they not? This really devalues each gig, and will probably make the person receiving XX emails pretty angry.

Also, the quality of gigs is probably something to be questioned (I haven't used the service but have used 2 others that no longer exist). Normally they're scraped from sites where these are listed publicly and the hiring managers will receive 30+ inquiries for each gig.

The best freelance gigs are organic ones - i.e. when a company reaches out to a freelancer directly.

Would love you to prove me wrong though.

Source: I'm a UX/UI designer

1. 1

Hey, Tony. You make some great points most definitely. And not all wrong on some of the drawbacks.

To clarify a couple things though:

First, we don't scrape from any site. 100% of our freelance jobs are hand-curated. Which means we literally have a human being going through dozens of job sites and thousands of listings to find the best jobs and post them to our members.

Additionally, while all members see the same jobs, not all members apply for every job. From the research we've done, the overlap is minimal.

And you're right (to an extent) that the best freelance jobs are organic ones. But most freelancers don't have the luxury of sitting around and hoping "word of mouth" jumpstarts their business or that a client suddenly and serendipitously finds them.

But recognizing this is definitely a big piece of the puzzle is precisely why we built the resource library to accompany the job lists. In the library, we have (or will have) courses on client acquisition via various marketing means (including having them "just come to you" via SEO or other means).

Our aim is to help freelancers land gigs in whatever way is most beneficial to them. If they prefer to use our list, great. If not, we can teach them other ways to do it.

Either way, the freelancer wins.

Thoughts?

3. 1

Great work👌

1. 1

Thank you so much, @DaveCraige!

4. 1

Hey Preston, this is really cool. I've been wanting to do something similar to this but for apartment listings, especially room shares. There's so many scams out there especially listings on craigslist it can be challenging to find a place to live. I've been fortunate to find good apartments on craigslist, I have a knack for it I guess. I've even helped a few of my friends find living arrangements. Could you talk a bit more about the landing page you set up? What company you used, etc..? This seems like such a simple way to test out if my idea has any potential , I'd love to follow your steps. You definitely had a leg up with building your audience over the years from your blog.

Thanks, all the best w/ it!

-Adam

1. 2

This is great but your customers will be one-off purchases (i.e. no one's gonna be searching for apartments to stay every one or two months) so subscription-based service will not be suitable.

What you can do to validate your idea (in my opinion) is to create a FB page and get followers using FB ads to gauge interest. Once the crowd is there, do limited free offers to those interested.

1. 1

That’s great advice thank you!

1. 1

I agree. Good idea, but hard to get repeat business—at least within a reasonably short timeline.