Votes

How Seth Godin Would Launch a Business With a $1,000 Budget

Discuss this article or ask me any questions you may have.

1. 1

Launching a business with a $1,000 budget in a manner that Seth Godin might advocate involves focusing on innovative, cost-effective strategies that prioritize creating a remarkable product and engaging a specific target audience through digital means. The first step would involve identifying a niche market, concentrating on a "minimum viable audience" that can sustain the business, a principle Godin frequently emphasizes. This requires detailed market research to pinpoint unique needs or challenges not yet effectively addressed.
    Following this, the development of a standout product or service, embodying Godin's "Purple Cow" concept, is essential. Such a product should be inherently remarkable, distinguishing itself in the marketplace without necessitating significant expenditure on traditional advertising. Instead, the limited budget would be strategically allocated towards leveraging digital marketing tools—social media, content marketing, and email campaigns—to build connections with the target audience. These efforts would focus on storytelling, providing value through insightful content, and fostering community around the brand, principles that align closely with Godin's marketing philosophy. By adopting this approach, the business aims to create a dedicated following, turning customers into advocates who help amplify the brand's message organically.

2. 1

Great post! loved the part of creating a remarkable product. A great product contributes to great marketing. Yet the best marketing in the world can't save a bad product!

3. 1

Great great post!

4. 1

Hey community, I hope this comment finds you well, i am looking for feedback for a small side project I am building called Echo - www.echonow.co, Echo allows you to effortlessly leave voice comments inside google docs, sheets, slides & more.

5. 1

Hi Loius,

Thanks for sharing this information, hopefully I get to see another article where you talk about how you got someone as accomplished as Seth to come on your interview.

I am currently working on my own product, which is a news aggregation service, and currently stuck on how to properly market the product, I'd use the key points (listed below) you raised here as a guiding light, to help me find my way, I still have some questions though, hope you can help

• market with people, not at them.
      if we can't use automated marketing tools or use cold out reach, how do we get the users, with the human centered approach you are talking about (this is a head scratcher for me)

• focus on the tiniest audience.
      i agree with this, can you throw more light on the what your approach for this is, do you maximise for the a demographic in you target audience that might perceived as more valuable or do you take a more balanced approach
      using groups you can relate with.

6. 1

This is by far the most inspiring thing I've read lately. Especially helpful since I just launched my first product. Thank you community! Such a great post!

7. 12

Always wondered why marketing gurus couldn't create any big companies. They write about people psychology, how to sell, how to create hypes and go viral plus they have the network of investors, CEO and brands.

And yet, they're not the people behind behemoths like Stripe, Airbnb, Uber - you name it - nor smaller cool companies out there.

1. 6

Seth Godin started Yoyodyne and sold that to Yahoo! in 1998, becoming an executive there when it was a really big, important company. Then there was absolutely a marketer/growth hacker, Blecharczyk, as one of the cofounders of Airbnb.
      StumbleUpon (Uber cofounder Garrett Camp's project) had a huge marketing impact.

1. 7

+1 to what @CodeForCash said.

You either change the World by teaching others to change it or by doing it yourself.

1. 1

Hey Louis, it's Zack Burt (we've been emailing)

1. 1

Haha, I know Zack, but your nickname here is CodeForCash, which is why I referred to you this way.

2. 4

This is why I read their articles picking apart and taking away only a few things. My first venture was becoming an Instagram influencer. I remember reading a Neil Patel article about how he spent something like $250,000 to make $300,000 and grow his following on Instagram. I felt like commenting on the article "dude I'm 18"

8. 1

This seems to summarize the IndieHackers approach perfectly. Build in public, get feedback from a small group of people interested, and keep building and improving. thanks!

9. 1

"Instead, I've decided to make a spinner and spin the wheel. I've decided to deliver value every week and to stop expecting success to knock on my door tomorrow.

I know that success will come; I just don't know when."

What a great way to approach not only a successful business but a lifestyle!

I love it!

10. 1

The product was so good that those 1,500 early adopters referred an additional 17,500 people in less than a month. At this point, the Hotjar co-founders knew they had a winner.

I love this example of what clear PMF looks like! Great post!

11. 1

If the value given exceeds the monetary wall, you got yourself a winner. Build and give value.

12. 1

I often hear "Do not give your product for free during the pilot / beta phase", but this is a different approach, makes sense.

1. 1

You are not the only one that heard that giving free product isn't that great. I am torn between doing it or not.

13. 1

I really liked this piece. It was a great mix of interesting and simple ideas. With tools like, you can think of me as a new fan. I'm excited to start listening to your show.

14. 1

This is great! Ty!

15. 5

"Market WITH people, not AT them" is interesting but what does it mean concretely ?. What are some examples of marketing with people ?

1. 4

In Godin's terms, it is basically a comparison between "old" and "new" ways of marketing.

In the old "TV" era, marketing was about shouting AT "everyone" via disruption and propaganda. You'd just make an average product and buy customers via ads.

Now in the digital age, that's over because that "'everyone' has left the building."

The new marketing is about starting WITH a defined audience; building products for them instead of building an audience for your product.

There is also no hiding behind "everybody" here, hence the relevant discussion about customer segmentation in the article.

Indie Hackers is full of example stories that highlight the importance of audience over product.

Relevant: Permission marketing

1. 7

Let me give you an example of marketing with people.

I work for Hotjar as their content marketing strategist.

Early on, we decided NOT to produce any shallow content and to focus ONLY on writing stuff that we would like to read ourselves, even if it meant publishing only one article every month.

So my colleague Fio and I spent the last two months researching and writing a massive but helpful guide for SaaS founders.

We also chose to take a big risk by asking for people's feedback BEFORE the guide was even ready.

This could have backfired as we were almost ashamed of the first version.

We were blown away by the results: more than 200 people (!!!) gave us feedback on Google Docs and on a draft version of the guide.

We used this feedback to improve it and make it what we hope is the best answer on the Internet for early-stage SaaS founders looking for help.

I think it's a good example of marketing with people: getting feedback early, being empathetic, etc...

16. 1

Copied the takeaways and copied to my snippet so I don't forget them by any chance! :)

17. 2

Great article. Thank you for sharing @Louis. I especially liked point #5 because like you, I've tried a bunch of things and quit prematurely. I think it's because we all hear of these "overnight success stories". I now realize there is no such thing as an overnight success and that has helped me lock into the idea of making a spinner and spinning the wheel each and every day.

1. 1

Thank you! It's a mindset shift isn't it... Patience and tranquility are really important. It took me a while to get it but now I feel much better about starting anything... I'm glad I could help!

18. 2

Bonjour Louis, that was a great episode. I think the story behind how you got an interview with Seth deserves to be shared :) Are you planning a bonus epiosde or a dedicated article? Merci!

1. 1

Bonjour et merci!

Yes, I'm going to write about it and might even do a bonus episode... Who knows :)

Louis

1. 1

Sounds great! What's the best way to be notified when that comes out (other than twitter ;)

1. 1

Probably signing up via email on everyonehatesmarketers.com :)

19. 2

I really liked this article, great summary of great and simple ideas. Consider me a new follower, I also don't like bullshit in marketing and I'm thrilled to start listening to your podcast. Bonne continuation!

1. 1

Thanks Nicolas... Really happy to have you as a new listener. Feel free to reach out any time.

20. 1

I really liked this article, great summary of great and simple ideas. Consider me a new follower,with blog of https://watertechguide.com/

21. 1

I definitely liked this article, wonderful precise of remarkable and easy thoughts. Consider me a new follower with tools like https://themitersaw.com/best-table-saws/ , I'm pleased to start paying attention to your podcast.

22. 1

great advice, thanks.

23. 1

Wow truly inspiring. Attention to details, great advice for every aspiring hackers.

24. 1

Not to play Devi's Advocate, but is it just me or does Seth's business plan seem superficial? The idea of focusing on a small niche is great -- all on board for that. Yet the idea of getting Parisian Airbnb hosts to PAY you in exchange for a review (or presumably a blog mention)? I don't see how this would amount to a viable income, much less even a thousand a month.

1. 1

That's a good point, Seth's business plan is a bit superficial for sure: he came up with it on the spot and the business itself hasn't been tested at all. No plan survives the first contact with customers.

Instead, what I find the most interesting in his interview is the process itself.

25. 1

Hey man I love how you made this article, especially key takeaways as a recap at the bottom and recommended resources to serve as a jump-off point for people who want to pursue the topic further. Thanks for the value.

1. 1

Thanks man! I usually don't like to write but I have to admit that I really enjoyed writing this article and I actually find myself re-reading a few times. :)

26. 1

Louis, from a developer perspective, I find it a little challenging to get the story or worldview correct according as Seth puts the term.

What process do you use to approach this?

Great podcast by the way I listened to a couple of episodes.

Best regards

Ty

1. 1

Thank you! I'm not sure I understand your question, though. Can you please rephrase or perhaps give me an example? Thanks!

1. 1

Louis, do you use the concept of a worldview or story when you are working on a marketing project, and if you do, what process do you use to create the story?

1. 1

Hey there! I think I get it now. The best resource I can direct you to is this interview with Mike Troiano (https://everyonehatesmarketers.com/marketing-storytelling/) on how to create a compelling story by focusing on once core emotion.

1. 1

Louis, thank you, I will listen to this episode. The podcast has been great.

1. 1

My pleasure and thank you so so much for being a listener

27. 1

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

28. 1

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

29. 1

This comment was deleted 6 years ago.