January 11, 2019

How to create plans for a SaaS product?

Hello Indiehackers,

We're going to launch a SaaS-based product for one of our clients next month. I want your help on how to create plans (free, paid, etc.) at the time of launch. Any tips or suggestions would help.

Let me know if you need more details on this from my side. I will try my best to give needful information.

Thanks in advance.

1. 4

If you've not read it yet, have a look on this ressource from Stripe: https://stripe.com/atlas/guides/saas-pricing

A lot of great advices that will help you for sure.

1. 1

Thank you, Olive. I'm going through it now.

2. 3

I would suggest to go to similar saas products and evaluate their pricing strategy and build yours on top of it. Maybe you can improve it.

If your product is unique and there's no similar alternative you'll have to research how much value will you add to your potential customers or to a specific industry and build on top of it.

I found pricing strategy design particularly difficult.

1. 1

I agree with you. I found it a bit difficult. So I thought let's reach to awesome people in this community. :)

3. 2

Finding that sweet spot before the launch can be a pain.

I suggest launching using the minimum price but mentioning its as Beta price to make sure customers know that the price will increase soon.

Once u understand how much value ur product is providing then you can do survey and A/B testing to make the final pricing/feature.

1. 2

I suggest launching using the minimum price but mentioning its as Beta price to make sure customers know that the price will increase soon.

I like this approach because it can be difficult to lower prices if you went in too high.

1. 2

Number of users u are excepting for the beta = X

The Price charged per user = Y

Cost of X user including hosting and cost of dev = Z

X*Y>Z

To protect your self "X" can be limited number

1. 2

X is really hard to predict though and you won't know your conversion rates.

Yes, I haven't tried this but I thought of something similar. Launch with something like "$Y per year for the first 100 users" at a low price then gradually increase in stages.

If you launch at too high a price and you don't get many sales, you don't have enough data for AB testing and if you lower your prices you have to think what to do about the users who initially paid the higher price. I hear that going too low can be perceived as not valuing your product but I think the risks of going too high outweigh this.

1. 1

This is a good point Sean.

2. 1

You can always mix in freemium and free trials :-)

1. 1

Yes, a free trial is going to be there to allow users to try the product.

2. 1

Yes, it will hard to predict the X, and so server and hosting cost in Z. Still, it's a good formula to have in our mind while deciding the plans.

2. 1

I like this approach.